Chop Saw Blade Sharpening

Old 09-20-03, 06:04 PM
mrrrl
Visiting Guest
Chop Saw Blade Sharpening

I bought a 14" chop saw and a fiber metal cutting blade. I love it, beats a hack saw. The first time I used it it worked great, but slowly over time its gotten to the point that its almost impossible to cut anything. The blade still looks great. Is there a trick to these blades and keeping them cutting easily or sharp. I don't want to have to buy a new blade every 20 of so cuts. I am cutting small items, the largest was 3/4 inch steel rod and some 1.5 x 1.5 x .060 square tube.

Is there a way to sharpen these type of blades?

Any ideas? TIA

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-20-04 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Edited Back In The Topic Question...Removed In Error
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-03, 07:04 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome mrrrl to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If you are referring to an abrasive metal cutting wheel as the blade, meaning a cutting disk and not a blade with teeth, to restore the cutting abilities, use a cleaning stone.

The cutting wheel has the tendencies to clog up the outer circumference cutting surface with metal debris. Using a cleaning stone or clean eraser material designed for the cleaning purpose, will restore the cutting ability to new again.

Using a dry type cutting lubricant on the wheel will also help to reduce the collection of debris picked up and held by the cutting wheel and help to cool the cutting surfaces.

All these types of products are sold in many local hardware stores that also sell the cutting wheels. Welding supply shops also stock a various assortment of all types of of cutting and cleaning supplies.

Regards and Good Luck.
Forums Admin & Sharpening Forum Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises. Accurate Power Equipment Company. Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services.

Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"Sharpeners can sharpen almost anything,
except a dull mind."...

Personal Quote:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."