Corded Hammer Drill Ergonomics

Old 12-07-03, 09:36 PM
kff2
Visiting Guest
Smile Corded Hammer Drill Ergonomics

I started with a B&D cordless drill (not hammer) and have found it comfortable to use one handed etc, the only problem is when it runs out of battery and you have to wait 3-5 hrs for recharge (spare batteries are too expensive, almost same cost as original drill bought on special).
Now, I need a hammer drill for some masonry work and have bought a 701w GMC corded drill. The first thing I noticed was how long and heavy it is if you hold it one handed because it is not balanced like a cordless, you are forced to use two hands which might be safer anyway.
So, my question is: have corded drills always been designed this way, what is the rationale, how should they be used safely and effectively? Any other ergonomic/usability comments welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-03, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
kff2:

One thing that makes cordless seem safer is the fact that the weight of the heavy battery hanging low is enough to counterbalance the relativley low torque of most cordless drills.
Corded drills with any power have a side handle or threads to install one as a means to prevent it from twisting from your grip.

I own a corded, 1/2", 1000 rpm,vs, Milwaukee Magnum Holeshooter.
This drill is not much bigger than a 3/8" drill but could break your wrist if the bit jammed at 1000rpm and you were using only one hand.
For safety use two hand and have a secure footing.