Framing Nailer Recommendations

Old 12-08-03, 09:05 PM
Framing Nailer Recommendations

When the pre-Christmas sales hits.... I was planning on purchasing a framing nailer.

Any recomendations? What features should I look for?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of clipped head vs regular head.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-03, 03:27 PM
You local code regulates the use of clipped or full heads on nails. Check that first.

Old 12-10-03, 03:54 AM
And even if your local code allows clipped head, be aware that the clipped head may come back to bite you.

I have a Senco clipped head nailer. Last summer I resided my house with fiber cement siding. The manufacturer would not warrant their siding if attached with clipped head nails. Fortunately, I had enough lap that I could blind nail it using 2 nails per stud. Hardie said they still could not warrant it, but I am confident the siding will not blow off.

If I were buying a nailer today, I would not buy a clipped head nailer.

Bruce

Old 12-10-03, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

It looks like the full head is the way to go.

Just looking at them it appeared that the clipped head would have less holding power... but, I thought I would put the question out to someone who has experience with the tool before I buy mine.

Thanks again.

Steve

Old 12-15-03, 05:00 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
I'll tell ya one to avoid.....the Duofast "Main Frame"...... I ever wasted $350 on......

I have a Stanley Bostich N80 coil nailer and love it. Bought the Duofast cause I thought I needed a stick nailer.....WHAT A MISTAKE.....jams all the time......head won't "bump" to fire about 20% of the time...cant' fire the last 3 or 4 nails unless you reload..... ( and THAT is just to get you to throw them away if you change sizes I'm convinced)........just ......

Broke the nose piece on my Bostich after about 10 years of use, and went straight to Lowe's and bought another to use while this one was off being repaired.

Last edited by chfite; 12-15-03 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 07:06 PM
jimmymc
Visiting Guest
I have a Stanley/Bostich framing nailer and it works great...but I don't use it very often. I also have a Stanley/Bostich finish nailer that I have probably run a ton of nails through...It stills works like new.

jimmymc