Mitre saws: Dewalt vs. Ryobi

Old 12-11-03, 06:14 PM
txpilot
Visiting Guest
Question Mitre saws: Dewalt vs. Ryobi

I'm currently in the market for a 12" mitre saw. I checked at the local Lowe's and Home Depot and I was impressed with the Dewalt 12". However, I noticed the Ryobi 12" was $80 cheaper and included a laser (which the Dewalt did not).

The only Ryobi product I've ever owned was a cordless drill. Unfortunately I haven't had the best of luck with it, as the direction selector jammed 10 months after purchase.

My question for everyone is: does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about the Ryobi Mitre saw or Ryobi products in general? Did I just get burned by bad luck on my cordless drill, or should I shell out the extra $80 for the better quality Dewalt?

Thanks for any input!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-03, 06:35 PM
4roys
Visiting Guest
Have the Dewalt 12" mitre. Great saw. (sided a house, two kitchens, addition, built a shed, plus misc. small stuff). Nary a problem, parts readily available (I had a need due to a small screwup of my own doing-don't try to cut landscape pavers even with a blade designed for that!). My impression was always that Ryobi was a price not quality item. Just my two cents.

Old 12-15-03, 11:48 AM
millertime
Visiting Guest
Ryobi's tool are not industrial grade tools. Therefore the price will be cheaper. And if it has a laser, that means even less went into the saw components.

Old 12-15-03, 01:22 PM
Check out RIDGID before you buy.
Changeling

Old 12-17-03, 06:49 PM
jimmymc
Visiting Guest
Buy a DeWalt or a Bosch...I have cut thousands of feet of molding with my DeWalt DW706 and it is still runs/cuts like new. I have heard the Bosch is a great saw also...nix on the ryobi.

jimmymc

Old 12-24-03, 05:45 AM
txpilot
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of the input. I decided to get the DeWalt and I'm very satisfied with the saw. I just used it for building a deck and it's a great tool!

Thanks again for all who contributed their two cents.