Stacked Dado Cutters

Old 12-17-03, 11:25 AM
Stacked Dado Cutters

After years of procrastination, I'm in the market for a stacked dado cutter. I've been using a "wobble cutter" for years and it does OK, but I'm not happy with the tearout I get with the ultra-thin veneers on plywood.

Here's the question.........

How does a stacked dado cutter handle cuts with the thinner plywood they sell now. Can I set it up to cut 23/32" instead of 3/4"?

Everyone I've talked to agrees that they should be able to do this, but no one knows quite how to do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-03, 12:47 PM
You tweak the size of a dado cut by adding and removing various size shims. Get a good stacked dado set...I use a Delta and it works great. Plan on spending at least $100 or even more. Also, purchase an extra shim set when you purchase the blade.

Good luck,

Old 12-17-03, 02:12 PM
Randy-
I know about the "tweaking" part - I do it all the time with the wobble cutter.

If I understand you right, I can buy a stacked cutter and - by removing shims - get it to cut a 23/32" dado (1/32" less than 3/4").

Yeah, I know this can get pricey. I was looking at a Delta dado set earlier today at the local Post Tool store. They also had one for ~$250, but I doubt if "she-who-must-be-obeyed" had this in mind for Xmas

Old 12-17-03, 03:06 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
I bought a Jesada 6" set......it comes with various sizes carbide tipped chippers and a chart to show you exactly how many of what size to get various sized dados.... one combination will make a 23/32.

Been several years ago, but seems like it was over $100 for the set.

Old 12-18-03, 04:27 AM
I think Tn...Andy answered your question. It would be nice to have that chart. In my case I don't do any one thing often enough to remember how many and what shims to use. I always have to experiment. That takes time with a stacked dado set, but in the end, you'll find that the result is far superior to what you get from a wobble set. Smoother cuts and flatter dado bottoms.

But, hey, I see Norm (New Yankee Workshop) now uses a sort of hybrid. Now that might be worth investigating. I'm sorry I don't remember the brand, but if I remember correctly, it's a stacked dado set with an adjustment mechanism for fine tuning. Knowing Norm, though, he probably exceeded what "she-who-must-be-obeyed" will go for.

Happy Holidays,

Old 12-18-03, 01:11 PM
Well, I did it. Got one this morning and have just finished dialing it in. Makes perfect dados in thin veneer plywood with nary a shred of tearout.

WOW!! How long has this been legal and why didn't someone tell me earlier.

Thanks for your input guys.

Old 12-18-03, 01:18 PM
Well, which one did you buy....we GOTTA know?!

Old 12-18-03, 03:33 PM
It's by "Systi Matic" - a division of IKS - out of Kirkland, WA. Got it a the local Tool Post store for $124.99 plus $3.98 for a set of shims, plus tax, license, and dealer prep.

Just finished the dados and rabbets for the three lower units of a built in bookcase. Will do the uppers tomorrow. Sure was neat. Not one OOPS! and my blood pressure didn't even twitch.