30 Ton hydraulic ram

Old 01-06-04, 07:44 PM
construction hand
30 Ton hydraulic ram

Maybe someone with a little hydraulic jack repair experience can help. I gotta 30 ton hydraulic ram which is about 18 inches long and about 3 inches around, stuck. It will go up but it wont come down. I wanna get some ideas on what i should look at first before i get into it. Can someone give me ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-04, 08:11 PM
Could be too much oil. Open the vent valve.

Old 01-06-04, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
chingao81375:

What type of ram is this? Is it a standard hydraulic bottle jack?

Old 01-06-04, 09:19 PM
construction hand
hydraulic cylinder

they call it a hydraulic cylinder. Not quite like a bottle jack. its more like a cylinder . Its 2 feet tall and 3-1/2' around it has a hose inlet in the middle and the bottom. its used on a 3-1/2" conduit bender. the cylinder is the same a ram used on portapower hydraulic jacks.

Old 01-07-04, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
chingao81375:

I would first check the fluid by opening the fill plug and trying to lower the ram. If overfull or airlocked fluid will spill out as the ram comes down.
The ram could be corroded which would be obvious or the cylinder housing could be dented which you would also see.

Also did you try to force the ram down by hand or with a lever and fulcrum or are you just letting a return spring do it?

If anything is not obvious you will have to start dismantling it to see what you can see.

If this ram is specific to your bender you may want to take it to a hydraulic shop. It may be expensive to replace if something goes wrong when trying to take it apart.

Old 01-07-04, 03:18 PM
If it has 2 inlets it sounds like it is driven both directions. You pump it out and then you reverse and pump it in. Look for a problem in your pump or control valve assy.

Old 01-07-04, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
I missed the 2 lines into the cylinder...... Good call.

I didn't even ask if this is hand or motor operated.

Old 01-07-04, 09:02 PM
construction hand
Thanks

Thanks for all your replies........Well the two inlets was a raise and lower. I emptied the cylinder fluid and decided to try another motor and it worked. Found the problem in the hose which lowers the ram it was clogged with gunk. It probably hasnt been used in 5-10 years! Should've realized that before i bothered you guys with my problem. I also have small cylinders that need attention. which i will do the same. Another problem solved by the professionals at doityourself.com and again thanks guys!!