Band saw

Old 01-24-04, 06:26 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Band saw

I purchased a 9" Delta Band Saw. It won't cut a straight line. I have gone through the tool setup. Blade tension adjustment, blade guides and support bearings. Everything seems in order. Ive tried different thickness of stock, fed at different speeds all with the same dilema. The blade veers to the right.....any ideas?

John

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-04, 07:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
How much did you pay for the saw? If it was around $200 I think I know which saw you have. It's made in China and sold under about a dozen brand names. I had better luck with Starret brand blades, but it always cut crooked. I think it was just poor quality and the blade guides (the little adjustable arms with bearing rollers) did not properly straighen the blade out in the cutting area. You can try putting shims under where the blade guides meet the saw body to help align them. On mine, the saw pivot hinge was not parallel with the table, so it was just made to cut crooked.

I was only able to reduce the problem and eventually got a new saw. Paid a bit over $600 and it is a dream to use compared to the old cheap one (it had better be an improvement, it was triple the price)

Old 01-24-04, 07:04 AM
J
ya it's a cheap one less than $200.00, I can't believe Delta would market a product that doesn't work...I'll check out their site...thanks for the reply

Old 01-24-04, 07:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
I liked the cheaper saw because it used a 1/2" blade. When used vertically it does pretty good at scroll/curved cuts. My new saw has a 3/4" blade and holds it very rigid. It cuts straight, but it cannot make tight curved cuts like the cheaper saw.

Old 01-27-04, 02:33 PM
J
bandsaws, crooked cuts....fyi

I purchased a bottomline Delta 9" bandsaw. In discussion with a technician at Delta, it is critical that you do not attempt a cut on a saw that has not been properly set-up. It does not come from the factory ready to cut. It appears that in my haste to try my new toy, I damaged the gullets on the blade. This is the reason I was getting a cut tracking to the right....live and learn.

Old 01-27-04, 03:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
OK, now I'm curious. What's a "gullet" on the saw blade, and how did you damage it?

Old 01-27-04, 04:00 PM
J
the blade has teeth that go left and right, I think the gullet is the bottom of the tooth, I guess I ran the saw through guides that compressed one side of the blade...hence the crooked cut....either the techie is stringing me a line, or I did screw the blade up....going to try a return to HD

Old 01-27-04, 04:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Yes, nothing should ever touch the teeth on the blade. Bad for the blade and bad for the saw.

I'm not sure how you could have done much to damage the blade. I don't think there is too much that you can adjust on the saw.