Converting Disc Sander to Hook & Loop

Old 02-09-04, 12:33 PM
Boltbaby
Visiting Guest
Converting Disc Sander to Hook & Loop

This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm new to sanders.

I recently purchased a Makita GV5000 disc sander and was told by a guy in the store to covert it to hook and loop to make my life easier. Do I actually glue the hook pad to the plastic deck or to the abrasive disc they included with the sander? The conversion kit has 8 holes in the hook disk but the plastic deck has none. Will it still work?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-04, 05:03 PM
Tom_J
Visiting Guest
Bolt,

Tried "Googling" a tad and found nothing that mentions the conversion your guy spoke of.

The holes in the sandpaper disk, or sheet, are supposed to match the holes in the fixed disk for sawdust removal. That is, the tool draws the dust up through the holes in the sandpaper disk, the tool disk and into an exhaust port (either to be blown into every square inch of your shop or into a shop vac. )

Do not attach anything to the abrasive disk. (Totally different animal.)

If you choose, glue the hook pad to the sanding disk and go with the 8-hole, 6-hole or 5-hole sandpaper disks. With no holes to match up to on the sanding disk, it won't make a lot of difference. Just a fast change-out of sandpaper. (Go with the 5-hole in the future. It'll give more productive sanding area.)

Tom

Old 02-21-04, 07:57 PM
joecaption
Visiting Guest
I've been working on antique boats for years and do a lot of sanding. I've found that every one of my hook in loop sanders were useless within a few week. The hooks load up after a short time and then the pads fly off. Also the hook and loops cost at least double. When you peel one off the pad sometimes the paper and the pad both come off.
I now only use stick on's and now have no trouble.