scroll saw circle cutting jig?

Old 02-14-04, 06:37 AM
rcmoon
Visiting Guest
scroll saw circle cutting jig?

I would like to be able to cut circles (of varying diameters) with my scroll saw. I know I would need to establish a pivot point using the radius of the desired circle. I would like to be able to cut these circles without drilling a hole in the stock to be cut. Is there a jig on the market that would allow me to do this? If so, could someone direct me to some information? Thanks, rc.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-04, 08:39 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could make a wooden table piece with a nail driven slightly through the upper surface, and pivot the piece to be cut on it to pass it through the blade to make a circle. The diameter would be whatever spacing you used from the blade.

Old 02-14-04, 08:49 AM
rcmoon
Visiting Guest
Chris,
For that to work, wouldn't I have to drill a hole in the piece I was wanting to cut the circle in?
rc

Old 02-14-04, 04:32 PM
There's no good way to cut a circle without a pivot point which means some kind of hole.

I either drill a hole partially thru the piece (from the bottom), or drill all the way thru and make a matching plug to hide the hole when I'm through.

Old 02-14-04, 06:59 PM
Or, make a template for each diameter circle you desire.
Use double stick tape, attaching the template to the stock, then cut the stock. The only pivot hole is in the template.

fred

Old 02-16-04, 04:36 AM
rcmoon
Visiting Guest
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Now I understand that I can make a piece that fits the top of the table and use something (dowel rod or nail) for pivot point. Since I don't want a hole in the finished piece I'll use double-sided tape to affix the target piece to another piece of wood that has a hole in it for the pivot point. With this information I should be able to construct the table top jig with pivot with no real difficulties. I appreciate everyone's help.
rc