Central Machinery & Chicago Electric Tools

Old 01-25-00, 11:31 AM
Visiting Guest
A friend gave me a that contained Central Machinery & Chicago Electric tools in it the other day. He wanted my opinion at to if the tools were any good since the prices were significantly lower than the comparable "brand name" tools. I believe that you get what you pay for, but are these tools worth buying or are they junk? Thanks for your input!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-00, 09:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Whitey,
As you said, "you get what you pay for". It seems to me that these knock-off tools are made with very similar castings and parts but with much more liberal tolerances. If you are expecting a piece of fine machinery, you will be dissappointed. If you have the time and ability to fuss around with the tools, you can get them to get the job done. Sometimes the cost of the name brand prevents you from getting the tool at all so a cheaper one is the way to go. If you can justify the extra cost of a name brand, your money is usually well spent. Especially if you shop for sales or use one of the discount mail order houses like 7 Corners Ace Hardware in Minneapolis. This is one man's opinion, no more, no less.

Old 02-12-00, 01:46 PM
Visiting Guest
I have bought a few of those tools from Harbor Freight. I buy only tools that I don't use very frequently. You can't beat the price and they do carry a guarantee.

------------------

Old 02-13-00, 06:59 PM
Visiting Guest
They are good for the weekend do it yourselfer,but if you use your tools everyday go for name brands.

Old 02-23-00, 05:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I get the Harbor Freight catalogs all the time. I've even purchased items from them. At times I've been tempted to try one of these Chicago Electric, Central Pneumatic, Central Machinery (most likely all made in China) tools.

But, I can not afford to be without my tools, and I don't think that I can trust one of these for very long. Note that the cordless tools come with only one battery! One in my most recent catalog issue says: $99.99 (was $119.99) extra battery $47.99. Hmmm? This is an 18 volt tool.

Good price, but I'll stick with my Dewalt and Craftsman cordless tools. My Porter-Cable, Makita, Bosch, Delta, and Dewalt corded tools. And my Paslode, Porter-Cable, and Bostitch nail guns.

Harbor Freight does have some excellent deals on Reconditioned tools. The manufacturer still maintains a warranty on these items.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"