need a jigsaw recommendation

Old 03-27-00, 07:32 AM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
Cool

well well, after 10 or so years my black and decker jig saw finally went for a permanent snooze...I've oiled the motor and it still won't work so I'm gonna buy another one..
so i got a few questions (it's only gonna be used for light cutting/turns and stuff every now and then...)

what's the difference between jig saw and a sabre saw?

any recommendations on which to buy?

is/was black and decker a good brand? I hear dewalt is good but nobody says anything about black and decker...

Also what about Skil? Their stuff seems cheaper than the rest...but how's the quality?

Thanks, chet.

Old 03-27-00, 05:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Black & Decker bought Dewalt a couple of years ago. They are a separate division, but the same parent company nonetheless.

Skil is mostly an american company. Emerson electric is their parent company. Emerson also owns Rigid Tools, In-Sink-a-Rator, and a few othe name brands.

I own a Skil vari-orbit jigsaw. I'd rather own a Bosch. I don't think that there is a real difference between jigsaw and saber saw.

If you are only using it ocassionally, go to WalMart and shop there for a good bargain. Who knows, it may last another 10 years.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 03-29-00, 11:28 AM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
Smile

thanks...didn't know about all the mergers and stuff.

looks like the pocketbook is gonna have priority on this one

chet

Old 04-09-00, 06:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I own a makita scroll saw have had it about 10 or so years have had no problems.May be a bit pricey for what you need though

Old 04-13-00, 06:16 AM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
Talking

well, I bought a craftsman 3.5 amp jigsaw with dust collector/vacuum thingy and with a turnable blade...variable speed...it was on sale...big upgrade from what i had before.

thanks for the advice
chet

Old 04-13-00, 08:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Lots of Craftsman power tools are made by Ryobi.

Not a bad deal though.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 04-14-00, 04:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi, You mention he difference between a jig saw and a sabre Saw?? Makita, Bosch,Metabo are but a few who make both. The Jigsaw is obvious as there are lots around generally small of blade and offering the blade to the work vertically and relatively small. The Sabre saws are generally larger machines with bigger interchangeable blades. My Bosch is about 550watt and has blades that are up to about 250mm long. the blade reciprocates at variable speeds as selected by the user and can be interchanged for various uses I have used mine to cut 2mm 316 Stainless steel from deep in the centre case of a trailer yacht, to pruning the old Plum tree in the back yard. a builder i know uses one all the time around the building site similarly a landscaper. Hope this helps
Bert

Old 04-19-00, 07:07 AM
Visiting Guest

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: