Air Framing Nailer

Old 04-19-00, 06:38 PM
Visiting Guest
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good framing nailer. I have been looking at Porter-Cable fr-350 and have looked at the Master Fasterner framing nailer

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-00, 10:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

There are basic questions before I can recommend. Because there are lots of good nailers.

1) Do you need a clip-head or full round-head nail in your area? Some local codes do not allow clip-head nails

2) Do you prefer wire, paper, or plastic collated nails? Personal preference.

3) Are there any special features you are seeking? i.e. Anti-dry fire? Rear load vs top load? Sequential fire?

If you can give me answers to these questions I can make a recommendation to you. I've shopped and know what is out there.

You can check my tool review below and get an idea on 2 framing nailers and 2 finish nailers.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 04-21-00, 06:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by More than a Carpenter:
There are basic questions before I can recommend. Because there are lots of good nailers.

1) Do you need a clip-head or full round-head nail in your area? Some local codes do not allow clip-head nails

A) I would like a full round. The clipped are in some cases not per spec.

2) Do you prefer wire, paper, or plastic collated nails? Personal preference.

A) I do not have any personal preference just want most reliable if there is such a thing. I think if I had a choice maybe paper for the recyclability.

3) Are there any special features you are seeking? i.e. Anti-dry fire? Rear load vs top load? Sequential fire?

A) Rear load. Anti-dry fire. sequential fire also if I understand it is one by one?

If you can give me answers to these questions I can make a recommendation to you. I've shopped and know what is out there.

You can check my tool review below and get an idea on 2 framing nailers and 2 finish nailers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope this helps. Thanx for the help

Old 04-21-00, 09:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Senco has: The SN60 which drives true round-head framing nails, ranging from 2" to 3-1/2" in length, and he SN65 drives true round-head framing nails, ranging from 2" to 3-1/2" in length . The SN65C drives 2-1/2" to 3-1/2" common nails. I believe that all Senco stick nailers are rear loading. The nails for these guns are plastic collated. Price $360-$370

Hitachi has: The NR83A and NR83AA which are both excellent tools for floor and wall framing and general heavy-duty construction, including subflooring, sheathing, and heavy fence building. This versatile tool is well balanced and light in weight (20% lighter than some similar tools) for one-handed, fatigue-free operation. Its sophisticated nose design permits inclined nailing. Designed for power and dependability, the NR83A drives full-head plastic collated nails at a speed of up to three nails per second. Engineered to accept strip nails in sizes 2 inch, 2-and-3/8 inch, 3 inch, and 3-and-1/4 inch, in smooth, ring, and screw shank styles. Price $355 - $390

Porter Cable has: FR250 The rugged aluminum magazine on this nailer has a capacity of 72 nails. It fires plastic collated nails from .113-inch by 2-inch to .131-inch by 3-1/2-inch as well as .148-inch nails in 2-1/4-inch and 3-inch lengths. The adjustable depth-of-drive allows setting the nail to the proper depth for the job. A barbed nose aids in toe nailing, preventing slippage so the nail is driven where intended. A rubber footpad is included to cover the barbed nose and prevent damage when nailing decking and sheathing. The exhaust port is muffled to reduce noise and is adjustable. A 3/8-inch quick coupler comes installed on the nailer, but a 1/4-inch quick coupler is also included for versatility. One year warranty with a 30 day performance certification. Includes nailer, heavy-duty carrying case, 3/8-inch and 1/4-inch male quick coupler with dust cover, oil, allen wrenches, OSHA/ANSI approved safety glasses, and operator's manual. NOTE: This nailer comes with a bump-fire trigger standard. A restrictive-fire trigger, which requires releasing the trigger between firings for more control, is available free-of-charge by calling 1-800-321-9443. Please provide the model number and serial number of each nailer requiring a trigger. For identification purposes, the bump-fire trigger is black and the restrictive-fire trigger is red. Price $250 - $280

Duofast has: CN-350B or CN-350B-SH Strip Nailer Main Applications: Crates and containers, Wall framing, Wall and roof sheathing, subflooring . Load capacity: 50 or 60 nails, depending on the nail. Plastic collated. Price $329

I would recommend the Senco or Hitachi first, but any of the four should do the job. The Duofast that I last used was kind of slow. I've used Senco, Hitachi, and Porter Cable guns and they work well.

I have a Paslode pneumatic framer.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net

www.toolreview.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited April 22, 2000).]

Old 04-21-00, 11:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanx,

I appreciate your time and review. It makes my job easier.

Jerry

Old 04-22-00, 05:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Jerry:
MTC gave good advice. The Porter Cable is the best, but the most spendy also. I noticed that he did not mention the second place nailer. It is the Bostich. It is just like the porter cable, except no rubber foot, which you don't need anyway, and unlike the Porter Cable, it will shoot all three types of nails. Top feed, single or automatic and very very durable. I looked along time before I found this one. Now we have four of them Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 04-22-00, 12:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

And Bostitch has: N95RHN-1 Framing Stick Nailer drives round head, plastic-collated stick nails from 2 in. - 3-1/2 in. in size. For use in framing sheathing, roof decking, and sub-flooring. Available in contact or sequential trip models. Designed for fast loading of two nail clips with no adjustments. Features angled magazine for accurate toe nailing, multi-directional exhaust and comfort grip. Made in the USA. Fitting not included. Price $300

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net

www.toolreview.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by More than a Carpenter (edited April 22, 2000).]

Old 04-24-00, 07:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks again for the advice and looks like I will be shooting nails soon thanks to you guys.

Jerry