Which kind of saw?

Old 07-05-00, 06:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm currently refinishing my basement, and need to buy an appropriate power saw for the job. I have around $200 to spend. I'm interested in getting a saw that will be as flexible as possible for future uses. Does anyone think a table saw, circular, or radial arm saw would be the best choice?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-00, 03:46 AM
Visiting Guest
You have already made your decision with your $200.00. A circular saw. Get a 7 1/2
one. Miketa, Dewalt, Porter Cable. All top brands. No Skill or Craftsman or any off brands.

Old 07-30-00, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Jack,

I have used a Skil saw for years (not mine)with no problems at all. I don't do any heavy duty work with it just the odd project which is why I borrow it instead of buying one (grin). Is there something wrong with them that I should take into consideration when I buy one for myself? Or are the good brands like Porter Cable etc just more durable?

Carbide

Old 07-30-00, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
The quality tools Jack mentioned remind me of the battery commercial - They just keep on working and working and working.

Old 07-31-00, 04:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Carbide; you answered your own question.
The saw you borrow is for odd jobs now and then. No heavy work.

Old 07-31-00, 05:51 PM
Visiting Guest
I've been using the same Porter Cable 743 circular saw for 2 1/2 years. I use it all the time.

A friend of mine is selling a 743 and 2 Skil 77 worm drives for $50 each. I'm going to gobble up all three.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net