Drill Bits

Old 02-17-04, 11:23 AM
asennad
Visiting Guest
Drill Bits

How do I sharpen drill bits. I do not have a bench grinder nor do I have the money right now to buy one nor a drill Dr.

Any other methods?

Old 02-17-04, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most people cannot sharpen a drill by using a grinder. I was a machinist and spent many hours learning how using the proper tools. If you cannot buy a drill doctor, find someone who has one. If you live close to me I will sharpen them for you.

Old 02-18-04, 06:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: asennad. Welcome into my Sharpening Shop Forum Topic.

Without a bench grinder or drill bit sharpener, for the time being, select those bits which you will be using for whatever project you have going or intend to use the bits for and have them professionally sharpened.

Sharpening shops should be located nearby. The shops or places to have sharpening done will be listed in the phone book. Also done at some small engine shops and hardware stores.

The costs vary based on the type of bit but non are expensive. Doing it this way for now will get the current project you need the bits for done. Later you can buy a drill bit sharpener.

Sharp Advice.
Web Sites Host, Forums Monitor & Sharpening Forum Moderator.
Accurate Power Equipment Company. Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises. Sharp Advice Business Management Services.

Old 02-18-04, 07:15 PM
asennad
Visiting Guest
Is it worth it to take them into a shop or just buy new bits?

I would love to buy cobalt bits - would probably stay sharp longer- but I don't know if they could sharpen them.

Old 03-04-04, 06:42 AM
Save your money on new bits and buy a drill dr. If you really need sharp bits, take the specific ones you need and get those professionally done as sharp advice stated.

Old 03-05-04, 08:04 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
unless your in the trades

Why would you waste your time...bits are cheap unless your looking at 1/2" or above... if your talking 1/4"...buy a new one...

Old 03-05-04, 08:07 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
PS

I have a B&D self contained drill bit sharpener....don't use it anymore, and even with that, it's tricky as hell to get them evenly sharpened.

Old 03-05-04, 08:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi: hvac01453

Fully agree. Drill bits are not an easy tool to sharpen correctly. Look easy but not really so. The bit must be sharpened evenly and correctly. If not but it does cut, may be only one side doing more work than the other end or none at all on one side.

Getting the center web even is tricky too. An uneven center web causes the bit to drift off center and or cut off center. Not as noticeable on wood as it is drilling into steel, etc.

Uncorrectly sharpened bits dull faster, heat up quickier, take long to bore the hole and cause users "Grief"... Grief causes unhappy customers...

Same applies to end mills. One of the most difficult tools to sharpen is an end mill, in my opinion.

However, a good sharpening person can make a huge buck with the right machine and plenty of skill.

Trail & Errors, Practice & Patience creates perfect results.

Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Sharp Advice.
Web Sites Host, Forums Monitor & Sharpening Forum Moderator.
Accurate Power Equipment Company. Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises. Sharp Advice Business Management Services.

Old 04-12-04, 08:48 PM
W
I bought this really great inexpensive devise that sharpens drill bits using a bench grinder. It holds the bit at the proper angle and sharpens it with the curve and everything. There are three angle setting for long lasting, high speed and super sharp. I use the middle setting and it is amazing how sharp they become. It is really easy. I had a bag full of old dull bits and I sharpened every one

Old 09-19-04, 01:08 AM
Name Of Device

Originally Posted by Warn
I bought this really great inexpensive devise that sharpens drill bits using a bench grinder. It holds the bit at the proper angle and sharpens it with the curve and everything. There are three angle setting for long lasting, high speed and super sharp. I use the middle setting and it is amazing how sharp they become. It is really easy. I had a bag full of old dull bits and I sharpened every one
can you give me the name of the device you purchased to sharpen your drill bits. thanks

Old 09-19-04, 08:42 AM
W
No name on it, just called a drill bit sharpening jig. Sells for about $15 CAN

Works like a charm, very easy to use (once you get the hang of it)

Later

Old 09-19-04, 11:35 AM
asennad
Visiting Guest
I bought one of these jigs.

They are available at Princess Auto and Lee Valley Tools by mail order. I would think that Harbour Freight in the US would have them too.

Old 12-02-04, 07:51 PM
repeters1
Visiting Guest
Question Drill bit / bench grinder sharpener instructions

I got one of these drill bit sharpeners at a tag sale last week but there were no instructions with it. It's the type that bolts up to the work bench and you use a bench grinder with it. It's a Craftsman but it looks exactly like a General Hand tools unit.
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the setup instructions for one of these?
I will probably get a Drill Dr. somewhere down the road but not for some time as almost all my spare money lately is going into building my 31 Model A Tudor.
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Old 12-03-04, 04:56 PM
W
Pete,

Mine never came with instructions, I had to figure it out myself. If you look at it for a bit you can get an idea on how it works. Basically you need to swing it and have the bit just touch the side of the grinder. Then small adjustments on the thumb screw while swinging it side to side. The trick is to count swings or just be sure to do both sides even so the point will be in the middle. Play around, it will make sense.

Old 03-21-05, 06:33 AM
putzing
Visiting Guest
I just bought a grinder and one of the tool rests has an angled indentation on it that appears to be for drill bits. However I think an 80 grit wheel is too rough for doing drill bits. Or, you can save your dull drill bits, buy a new bit today, and save for a Drill Dr.

I bought one of those plastic things that sharpens bits, chisels (flat blades), scissors, etc, and even carbide tips. It works well but not for drill bits. You can't see the bit when it's sharpening. And it has 2 tabs that follow the flutes, so as the bit goes down into the hole, you never know which side of the bit you are sharpening, resulting in one side being sharp, and the other not. I.e. unevenly sharpened sides.

Plus the motor is really weak. It has a low duty rating.

Does the Drill Dr. have a better motor?

Old 03-29-05, 11:19 AM
putzing
Visiting Guest
The thing I bought for sharpening bits, knives, and chisels was by Plasplugs. Not a great motor but it seems to do the job. It handles cement bits too (I think those are carbide tipped.)

Old 03-31-05, 09:46 AM
C
My father was VERY good at sharpening drill bits, using a bench grinder, holding the bit in his hands, with no guides. Where he worked, people preferred his sharpened bits over new ones. In fact, people would buy new sets of bits and bring them to him to sharpen before using them. He sharpened the bits differently depending on what they would be used for. He could put a tip on a bit that would NEVER drift on metal. Good stuff.

I've watched him do it many times. I'd ruin a bit if I tried it like that. Of course, he probably ruined a few as he learned.

Not adding much to the thread, but I just wanted to share that. True craftsmen like my father are a rare breed these days.

Old 02-21-07, 08:17 AM
W
I am using a 6ft 1/2" flexible drill bit with a screw top. Is that able to be sharpened? Do the big stores like Home Depot and Lowes do professional sharpening?

Old 04-01-07, 12:48 PM
R
Just to add my two cents worth...I love my Drill Dr. for about $100 (actually I got mine as a gift) I always have sharp bits to work with. If you can read these posts, you can easily follow the directions. I use mine a lot and the convenience and safety involved is worth the expense. I probably spent more in any given year replacing bits than the machine cost.

Old 08-15-07, 05:40 PM
W
Bit sharpner

Originally Posted by Warn View Post
Pete,

Mine never came with instructions, I had to figure it out myself. If you look at it for a bit you can get an idea on how it works. Basically you need to swing it and have the bit just touch the side of the grinder. Then small adjustments on the thumb screw while swinging it side to side. The trick is to count swings or just be sure to do both sides even so the point will be in the middle. Play around, it will make sense.
I think I have that tool that you are talking about also for sharpening bits. When you are using it do you sharpen with the side of the grinding stone or the front of the wheel. I'm trying to set mine up correctly and one of my friends thinks it is the face(if that is correct wording) and I think it is the side of the stone that is to be used when sharpening the bit.
xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-16-07 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Email address removed/This is not allowed and it will protect your email from being filled w/spam
Old 02-15-08, 05:58 AM
S
If you have a bench grinder. Check out sharpdrillbits.com,
they have a gadget that might work. Haven't tried it
myseif.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: