CHAINSAWS

Old 08-31-00, 05:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

IS IT WORTHWHILE TO BUY AN ELECTRIC CHAINSAW? I WOULD BE USING IT VERY LITTLE AND GAS CHAINSAWS ARE A LOT MORE MONEY.ARE ELECTRIC CHAINSAWS POWERFUL ENOUGH TO CUT DOWN TREES,ETC.?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-00, 06:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Tiny:

I lived for a number of years in a house whose main heat was a free standing wood stove. I bought a Poulan electric chain saw with a 14" blade - paid under $100 for it about 10 years ago.

Still got it - still working well (replaced the chain several times). Have cut down pine trees up to 30" in diameter at the base.

Wouldn't have a gas powered one - don't need it.

Old 08-31-00, 06:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes, an electric chainsaw will work for most homeowners. Just remember that they are just as dangerous as a gas one and that they need the same care and maintenance too.

A good motor and sharp chain are what make a good chainsaw, not gas versus electric.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 09-08-00, 08:15 AM
Visiting Guest
ditto the above, but just remember one thing-
you now are adding electricity into the mix. it's easy to lose track of your cord when cutting is your focus. be careful not to get tangled or accidentally cut your cord.

Old 09-11-00, 02:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree whole heartedly. I recently moved into my new house and wanted to rid myself of the 20 plus trees and oversized bushes around the house that were either in the way or just a condo for rodents and insects. I bought a poulan 16" electric chainsaw and it worked like a champ. Even though the poulan was more expensive at $89, I chose it because it has an automatic chain lubricator. You have to make sure that your chain is constantly lubed while you are using it and the automatic feature was worth the few extra $$$. Just make sure you keep plenty of chain and sprocket oil handy. I went through an entire quart in one day.

The one major benefit of the electric saw is that you just plug it in and pull the trigger. No gas, no engine to tune up, nada. I love mine.