router speed control

Old 02-24-04, 04:13 PM
ewwelz
Visiting Guest
Question router speed control

Dear Friends:
Could someone please tell me why one would have to control the speed of their router? Is there a chart somewhere that tells when to use what speed? I need help understanding this.
Thank you,Ewwelz

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-04, 07:03 AM
SalvageCzar
Visiting Guest
I believe Chris "chfite" is the best to answer questions about routers ... but in the meantime this link may offer some help:

http://www.woodworking.com/articles/...fa=show&id=107

Old 02-25-04, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most routers and router bits are designed to work at the one HIGH speed as determined by the router. In 20 yrs I have not had any need to alter the speed of the router. Burning wood usually happens when the movement of the router itself is too slow across the stock being routered. It just takes practice and a good hearing tone to know when the router is being moved too slow.

fred

Old 02-25-04, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with the one speed concept for routers and their bits. Some recommend reducing speed when using large bits, such as: panel raising bits. The concern seems to be for safety. I prefer to make sure the workpiece and tool and all other things are properly sized, secured, and shielded.

A large, horizontal panel-raising bit is a scary thing to watch spin up. There are vertical panel-raising bits, much tamer to use.

As was mentioned, burning wood is generally a result of too slow a speed moving through the material, dull bit, gummed bit, not enough router power, that sort of thing. As fewalt mentioned, some bit of experience plays a part in it.

Hope this helps.