Chain Saw

Old 02-26-04, 04:00 AM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
Chain Saw

I'm about to head down to Home Depot to pick up a chain file, for my chain saw. I am a rookie at sharpening chains. Wondering about the do's and don'ts to this. And any tips would be invited. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-04, 06:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Resaw

Chain saw chain cutters come in several sizes. Using the correct round file size is required. If possible, take a small chain with you as a sample.

You'll also need a flat file to lower the depth gauges. The depth gauges are in front of the cutting teeth. They determine the cutting depths of the teeth. They really only need to be checked and lowered, if needed, every other sharpening.

Also needed is a flate metal measuring gauge. (Hope I am using the correct term here. Slight touch of a "Senior Moment" just set in...haha, kindly excuse me)

The flat gauge is used to determine the height of the depth gauges in relationship to the cutting teeth. More on this later, since your about to leave and I wanted to get this reply posted asap.

Best, but not required, to purchase a chain holding device or jig which can be held in a common work shop vise.

Leather work shop gloves to protect hands and safety goggles should be used at all times for personal injury protection.

H/D? Shop Lowes. They are one of our paid sponsors...LOL!

Sharp Advice.
Web Sites Host, Forums Monitor & Sharpening Forum Moderator.
Accurate Power Equipment Company. Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises. Sharp Advice Business Management Services.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-27-04 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-26-04, 05:26 PM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
Ha ha...Lowes....Not one close to me. Maybe you can Let them know that little old me is waiting for one to pop up.

Anyway...I'd like to know more about this gague you spoke about. I take it it will properly allow you to set the rakers so that the cutters don't cut too much or too little? Also...Can i make one? Can i make a guague for little or nothing? Or if not a gauge, just a guideline for raker heighth in comparrison to cutters?

Also...he he , how do you file the rakers...just take a flat file and knock them down flat? Or is it better to do somehting about the shape, as i believe they are not just flat....i realize they are probably so simple it's not funny....Just to kick the saw dust out right?

By the way, i was aware of the file size...3/16"

And One last note. The SATISFACTION. Not having to force the saw through the wood! Just lay that baby down into the wood and listen to it purrr. Most definately worth it. I'm sure as i do it more and more, my results will become refined. But for now...it was better than having to buy a new chain (duh) Anyway...thanks for the advice. Keep it coming!

Old 02-27-04, 07:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Resaw

The depth gauges are the raised sections directly in front of the cutting edges. They determine the depth the cutting edges cut at.

So the answer to your question is yes. They control the depth the cutting teeth cut at. To high and the teeth make saw dust, cut slowly and make the saw work more than it should.

Make the saw work more than it should, meaning running a lot but not getting much accomplished. Depth gauges to low will make the cutting teeth cut too deep, over work the engine and create larger chips of wood bits, etc.

To determine the height of the gauges in relationship to the teeth, lay a flat blade across the chain when the chain is vertical. Use a feeler gauge to check (measure) the difference betwen the heigth of the depth gauges and the height of the cutting tooth.

Do this on a brand new chain and note the amount. After two sharpenings, lower the depth gauges, using the flat file, to return the original heigth found using the feeler gauge. It's that easy.

Try to file the gauges to maintain the original curved angles, if possible. Do not lower the gauges too low. Once the depth gauges are reset correctly, the chain will cut like new, using less effort on your part, make it easier on the saw, etc.

Old 02-28-04, 07:49 AM
Admin Emeritus
Additional Suggestions and Tips On Chains & Bar Rails:

Turning the bar over every other chain sharpening helps to more evenly distribute the bar rail wear. Most bars can be turned over.

Turning the bar rail over also helps to extend the service life of the bar. Cleaning out the center groove each chain sharpening helps to keep the chain running level in the bar rail.

Having the bar rail resurfaced whenever installing a new chain helps to extend the service life of the chain. Doing so does not allow the chains to unevenly wear out the links which run on the bars rails.

Using plenty of chain oil helps to lube the chain as well as cool it. Cooler running decreases the heat buildup and chain stretching and wear. Also helps to flush out sawdust from the bar rail, etc.

Holding the saw straight keeps the bar cutting straight. Thus reducing the wear on both the chain and the bar rails. Chains where not meant to cut at angles. Doing so unevenly wears on the bar rails causing unwanted cuts at angles.

Maintaining sharpen chains and level bar rails allows the saw to cut with less effort and wear on the engine. Chainsaws are higher maintenance machines than initially or basically thought to be.

Old 02-29-04, 09:03 AM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
Thank you! I was wondering about the bar rotation/flip. The bar i have is flip-able, so, next time i get it out, that is the first thing i will do. Thanks again.