Limb Saw

Old 02-26-04, 05:13 PM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
Limb Saw

OK. So i shop at Home Depot...Just because it says Home doesn't mean you have to own one to shop there. Anyway, what i'm getting at is....They sell this awesome Limb Saw for small limbing. It's made by Corona, and it's called Razor Saw(by the way...they call it Razorsaw for a reason...OUCH!), or something to that effect. (i'm not trying to plug Home depot, or Corona, just trying to get someone out there familiar with the product.)

Anyway, maybe i told you this already, an awesome saw...AS LONG AS IT HASN'T BEEN USED TO CUT ROOTS! Geeze! So one of the guys grabbed the nearest tool and whacked a root off...and also atempting to cut China in half while they were at it! Anyway...A new blade is 17, 0r 18 dollars...a new saw is upwards around 22 dollars.

I have been reading the forums about hand saw sharpening. And i have learned a ton! But i don;t have the means to sharpen a saw. I definately have the interest. But the space...and the rest of it, i don;t have. My question is... This saw has one more complexity to it than a cross cut saw, as far as the teeth go (not to mention the blade is curved) The is an extra edge, so a third edge on the tooth. I don't quite know how to explain it. Some say it is impossible to sharpen. What is your opinion? And if you know...how much would your estimate be for a good professional sharpening? I tried to find a pic of the teeth, but couldn't. Let me know what you think.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-04, 07:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Resaw

Yes. I agree. That style of saw blade does cut very well indeed. And it is equally as difficult to duplicate the angles, even for a professional. Nor do I know of any machinery that is used to sharpen that style of blade.

Nor think it would be worth the costs to invest in one that would sharpen that specific style of cutting teeth. Just not enough of them here to warrant the investment for a machine or an attachment to an existing machine, if there is an attachment.

To sharpen it, you'll just have to follow standard hand saw practises and follow the angles as best as possible. Maintaining the original set angles.

Dirt will dull the cutting surfaces on any blade. Reason why chainsaw chains are not used to cut any lower than one or two feet above ground levels. Leaving the tree stump for the grinder.

Simply because I do not get many of these specially type of blades into my vocational shop does not mean there are not sharpening shops in your area that do not have the machinery.

Might be a good idea to check with them on all aspects of costs and how they resharpen them. Than post back those result to this post. Doing so would allow all readers to learn more.

Good Luck,
Sharp Advice