Pressure Washers...Briggs or Honda?

Old 02-29-04, 07:36 PM
Pressure Washers...Briggs or Honda?

These are my options. Advice? Experience? Opinions?

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...2294-348-20209

or

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gmj.0&MID=9876

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-04, 08:47 PM
millertime
Visiting Guest
The picture doesn't want to show up for me. But we bought a honda from HD.

just make sure you get the one with a variable pressure control

Old 03-01-04, 03:36 AM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
PW

What are using it for? are you a home owner ? I have a small pressure washing company. And educated myself on them last year..

Old 03-02-04, 10:20 AM
Just home use...washing the cars, cleaning the deck and fences, the garbage cans, garage floor, driveway, exterior windows, bricks, etc...

Old 03-02-04, 10:25 AM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
From what i've learned in my venture is.... the G.P.M.'s is what matters., And it really does... Gallons Per Minute... I bought a 400PSI , @ 4 GPM. and it will blast you backwards. And i bought a cement cleaning deck , it cleans driveways and sidewalks .. Shop @ www.northerntools.com

good luck.

Old 03-02-04, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Silicone: Do you mean 4000 psi? 4000 psi @ 4 gpm would be about a 10 - 12 hp motor.

Links wouldn't work for me either. ( I don't have a zip code and don't know a fake one to access Lowes.)

I would opt for the Honda engine as they are much more trouble free and quiet than Briggs or Tecumseh.

Old 03-02-04, 10:48 AM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
4000psi @ 4 GPM.. yes, it is a 13 h.p. Honda engine.. Even though i got my job back, and do it only on the side now...I still use it all the time. I bought a 6 hp. 2400psi, before this one, and it almost was not worth anything to me. Because it took so long to do the job. And in todays society , time is so valuable.

Old 03-02-04, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Ya, I know what you mean.
I use a 2500 psi @ 2.2 gpm that is powered with a Honda.
It is excellent for airconditioning work as a lot of equipment I clean is too fragile for anything more.
I also bought a cheap little Kodiak that is about 900 psi @ 1 gpm for inside jobs. It works really good for hauling up into overhead mechanical rooms inside of a building. It uses so little water it doesn't make much of a mess.
I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one of these though as they are quite poorly made and wouldn't stand up for at even home use.

I would have to say that 2500 psi @ 2.2 gpm would be a good compromise for a homeowner. Enough power to lift grease off the driveway, clean up old lumber and such but not enough to do much damage to anything.

I have a brute like Silicone's on my wish list as I could see myself stripping paint, cleaning rust off steel and the like but................

Old 03-03-04, 10:09 AM
drbourassa
Visiting Guest
Stripping Paint

I need to remove some flaky paint before I repaint my house, I have 105 siding, and I am curious if the 2200 PSI Honda would be powerful enough to do this? Has anyone tried this? Thanks.

Old 03-03-04, 10:40 AM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
Big house ? 2 stories ?

Old 03-03-04, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
drbourassa:

Sorry but "105 siding" is not a term I've heard relating to siding.

Old 03-09-04, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
You were asking about Briggs or Honda, so... If everything else is equal, the Honda will probably be more expensive just for the Honda name.

Honda has two main groups of engines. GX engines are more commercial/industrial duty and GC Honda is their "cheaper" homeowner engine.

Likewise Briggs also has different levels of engines going by many names. Cheaper engines are listed first, more premium ones last:

classic
sprint
quattro
Q
Quantum
Quantum I/C
Quantum Edge
Intek
Intek Edge
Entek Pro