How do you Replace a shovel handel

Old 03-01-04, 12:53 PM
edbejabbn
Visiting Guest
Question How do you Replace a shovel handel

I broke my shovel(spade) handle. All the wood is out of the metal spade end and I have the wooden replacement handle. How do you widen the spade end to accept the wooden replace emt?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-04, 10:01 PM
SalvageCzar
Visiting Guest
Old 03-02-04, 06:15 AM
edbejabbn
Visiting Guest
The link http://inin.essortment.com/usedtoolsrepai_rcsu.htm provided some good information. However, the handle is tapered and curves slightly at the end to fit the curve at the end of the socket (right before the spade part). I guess I could saw off the curved part of the handle, I was just wondering if there are special tools to open the socket or if there is some other way to accomodate the curvature of the handle into the socket.

Old 03-15-04, 06:58 PM
Replace the handle??? Looks like a good excuse to get a new fiberglass handled model. Seems like everybody (Sears, Lowes and HD) has them on sale right now for about 1/2 price.

Old 03-16-04, 08:43 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
Just insert the tapered end into the socket, grab some leather gloves, grasp the shovel by the sides or the socket, put the end of the handle on the floor and pound it into place by repeatedly hitting the end of the handle on the floor. There's ample opportunity to pinch your hand while doing this so be careful. I'm sure OSHA wouldn't approve of my method.

Old 03-18-04, 05:14 PM
scrapiron
Visiting Guest
Set the end of the handle to be inserted into a bucket of water for a day. This will soften the wood so the handle can be driven into the curved section of the spade.