"come-to-me" What is it?

Old 03-21-04, 08:45 AM
skeenp
Visiting Guest
Question "come-to-me" What is it?

I inherited a piece of equipment called a "come-to-me". I would like to find information on the uses and the formal name of this "tool". Searching "come-to-me" on the internet does not get me useful results.
Can anyone help with the real name of a "come-to-me"?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-04, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
come-to-me?......do you mean a come-a-long? It would look like a large hand operated winch, chain operated. Various sizes, I've used from 1/2 ton to 10 ton.

Old 03-21-04, 05:17 PM
skeenp
Visiting Guest
JJ, Yes! Thank you. I called it a "come hither" for a long time! I've found a few hits on the Internet.
What I'm looking for is "how-to-use" instructions and the kinds of things I can use it for (for example, a garage door in the down position with the springs disconnected - could I use it to raise the door?) I don't know the "ton" size but it's not really big.
Thanks again

Old 03-21-04, 06:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You can use a come-along to pull or lift anything that it is large enough to do.
Make sure that it is very secure on both ends of the pull. You do NOT want an end to come loose when you've got it cranked.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-22-04, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
I agree with Mike on this.

skeenp:

Lifting a garage door is something that can be done with a come-along but it should only be used for making repairs to the door and not as a means to open the door for passage.
The springs help open the door by reducing it's effective weight.
If something were to go wrong with the come-along or it became unhooked it could hurt someone or damage your vehicle.

If you do lift a door make sure you block it securely.

Old 03-22-04, 06:21 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
Come-A-Long

Two types, either chain or Aircraft Cable, I have a few of each!! Aircraft Cable types are usually Half Ton, good name brand is
Lug All, lots of Offshore Made ones around, (china, Malaysia etc.)
be careful with those, and never trust them to enough to put your life in there hands! Be Careful! BTW Lugall is made of Cast Aluminum, most of the foreign ones are laminated steel!!

BE CAREFUL !