Drill recommendation needed

Old 03-25-04, 02:00 PM
Drill recommendation needed

I'm doing an outdoor malibu lighting project, and I need to drill through 6 bricks (possibly more) that are 3 3/4" thick each (I have to drill through them singly, they are not stacked against each other). I will be running that 12 guage outdoor wire thru the holes, and that wire measures about 3/8" wide.

I'm wondering what kind of drill (and masonry bit) would make quick work of something like this. I have a good 12V cordless that I use to drill into cinder block every once in a while, but this is my first time drilling brick, and it looks tougher than block.

Any recommendations for this? cordless would be great, but corded is fine for a significant cost savings or power boost. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-04, 04:07 PM
A carbide tipped masonary bit should make quick work of brick.

Old 03-25-04, 04:33 PM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
The only other thing i would add to Dave's reply to you is, for the drill make it a hammer drill. If it's only going through one brick (most likely 4") the drill doesn't have to be spectacularly huge. Just a mid size drill will be fine.

Old 03-25-04, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
LateBloomer:

I agree that you should use a small hammer drill.
Even though it's only six bricks it would be tough going for a carbide bit in a regular drill.

If you don't have any other immediate use for a hammer drill, renting would be an economical option.

Old 03-26-04, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the replys. I was kinda thinkin I might need a hammer drill, but wasn't sure what kind of jobs required a step up to a hammer drill. Do hammer drills use the same bits as regular drills?

I have a 10% off coupon for home depot, so I might go ahead and pick one up. If the wife wants outdoor lights, then it's gonna cost!

Old 03-26-04, 10:17 AM
Be careful, LateBloomer. When you start negotiating for tools, she'll figure that she has the same rights. You want to start building shoe racks next?? (Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt)

Old 03-26-04, 03:27 PM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
In reply to your question about the hammer drill taking the same bits. Some hammer drills take the normal style bits, with the chuck, and key. Then there is the SDS style bits which ROCK. Very very nice. and...more expensive of course. If you're going to buy a drill, make sure not to chintse(cheap) out on the bits, make sure you get ones with nice carbide and all. I believe HD carries Bosch bits, and they are not too bad price wise for a decent bit. They have SDS. Just talk to someone in the tool department. They'll help you.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-04, 08:27 AM
pw1972
Visiting Guest
I've got a Milwaukee hammer drill. Nice thing about it, is it switches between normal and hammer mode so you've got a good durable corded 1/2" normal drill when needed.

Old 03-29-04, 06:47 PM
Resaw
Visiting Guest
Exactly what i have too pw1972. I have not run into anything it couldn;t drill through yet. 8 inch holes in concrete footer for rebar...you name it. I also have 3 different chucks for it. I think i have two different sized SDS chucks, and one keyed chucks, or maybe it is the other way around...2 keyed, and 1 SDS. Either way, it is an extremely versitile setup. And SDS is the way to go BTW.

Whoo hoo!

Old 03-29-04, 07:35 PM
Cool

LateBloomer,
Whatever you use, it is way easier to drill through the mortar between the bricks than through the bricks.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-01-04, 04:37 PM
thanks for all the tips, now for some drillin!

Old 04-21-04, 09:36 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
I use the 18V 3 speed DeWalt Hammer drill (from the 5 pc. combo set) with a high quality bit. I have dropped the drill (26 ft onto concrete), used it in wet conditions, used it in heavy load conditions, used very long bits on it and it takes everything in stride. Not a single problem to date and I've been using it for 3 years when i was cabling sub-contractor and for my own personal use(carpentry, remodling, construction).

If you get a drill, make sure it is hammer drill. I also have an 18V Dewalt 2 speed no hammer and the difference is night and day. I'd go with cordless (more versatility) and you absolutely want a locking chuck (toolless, and not the pressure kind that you have to pull the trigger to tighten, but one you independently tighten by turning the chuck and it ratchets down on the item in the chuck) w/electronic brake.

If you want to make it easy on youself, shoot for a mortar joint when you start, they are much weaker than the brick.

One thing to be careful of is too much back pressure near breakthrough. If you do over do it you can take out a significant chunk of brick and if you are drilling inside to out, it will look bad.

Happy tool shopping!