$200 Cement Mixers??

Old 03-25-04, 05:48 PM
MrE_Dog
Visiting Guest
Question $200 Cement Mixers??

I've seen electric cement mixers between $200-$250 at the local HomeDepot/Lowes stores. They handle a little over 3 cubic feet of cement for small jobs. They have Polymer Plastic mxing tub.

Has anyone had experience with them? Do they last and how big a job can you do in a weekend?

I wanted to make a patio with permanent wooden moulds. You know the patios with square cement shapes with the wooden borders around them. I plan to fill up a few square every weekend until I was done. That's why I just dont' rent. No time to do it a day.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-04, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
MrE_Dog:

I think that your project is what those mixers were designed for.

Trying to pour a couple of yards of concrete at one time would be where you would not be happy with this type of mixer.

Old 03-26-04, 07:25 AM
SalvageCzar
Visiting Guest
MrE_Dog:

I bought a mixer similar to the one you are describing two summers ago, just to make minor concrete repairs and improvements.

It has a QUIET 1/3 horsepower 110 volt motor. I think that you and your neighbors will appreciate hearing that electric hum instead of a noisy gas motor.

IMHO these mixers are okay if you're a patient person and your job doesn't have to be completed in a hurry. They don't mix much volume, and the RPMs are low; all loaded up mine makes about 50-60 RPM or so, BUT I can mix 2 eighty pound bags of Sakrete redi-mix in mine in a snap and without a problem.

What I didn't realize when I bought it is that it has other uses! I dry mixed rock salt and sand before the start of each winter. One grand-daughter uses it to dry mix and blend her own recipe of potting soil for her plants and for also for mixing dry fertilizer. A neighbor uses it for mixing animal pellets and dry feed, and another neighbor used it for mixing small colored lawn stones.

That plastic drum and mixing blades are easy to clean, and even though I lost the manual and information, replacements were not overly expensive.

The only drawback to mine is that it has small wheels. It's lower than my wheelbarrows. I have to prop it up on an old pallet or two, or on cinder blocks to get it high enough to dump into the wheelbarrows I have.

Old 03-26-04, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Hey!

SalvageCzar:

You reminded me of what I did last fall.

When my wife sent me high-tailing back out the door with an armload of greasy coveralls, I pitched them in my small mixer with a pail of hot water and a full cup of concentrated laundry soap.

The bubbles coming out of the mixer looked like something out of a "kids doing the laundry" movie.

Not only were my coveralls never cleaner, it reinforced my wife's resolve to never let me into the laundry room!

Old 03-26-04, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
SHE WON'T LET YOU IN THE LAUNDRY ROOM?? Does that work for any laundry? I'm buying one today if it does

Bruce

Old 03-26-04, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Bruce:

Well, yes.
I would advise that you scrape off any sharp rocks or concrete fragments from inside the barrel when washing fine linens.

Also, it's a good idea to lift the hopper half way to properly mix the clothes.

If you want to guarantee banisment from the laundry room put in about 2 cups of soap and then proudly show your partner your accomplishment.