Air compressor lube question

Old 04-16-04, 08:46 PM
Air compressor lube question

Hi All,
Recently got an old W.B. Brown "Speedy" air compressor at a garage sale. It is a single cylinder, belt-driven compressor with a 1/3 HP motor. It is probably 40-some years old, but after a good cleanup and new pressure switch, it now works nicely for small jobs.
My question is how do I oil the pump? The bearings and crankshaft have greased ball bearings, but the cylinder seems to have no provision for lubrication. In fact, the bottom of the pump is open, and seems to not be designed for oil. There are some old peeling labels on which I can just make out the word "lubrication".
Any ideas? I don't want to ruin this little beast after 40 + years of dedicated service.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-04, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Andrew:

I had a Speedy compressor at one time and it was a diaphram type that required no lubrication other than an oil port to put a couple of drops of oil to lubricate the sleeve bearings in the crankshaft.

Old 04-20-04, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the information, Greg. It's the piston I am concerned with--it's definately not a diaphram type. I think I'll leave it alone for now, since it is working fine.

Old 04-21-04, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Andrew:

You cannot post pictures here but if you could find a host and put up a picture I may be able to figure out what you have.

Or, search the internet for one the same as yours and provide the link.
I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything but maybe you can.