Chainsaw Blade - How many times can you sharpen it?

Old 04-25-04, 11:03 PM
_raptor_z_
Visiting Guest
Chainsaw Blade - How many times can you sharpen it?

I have a Husqvarna chain saw that really cut great when it was new, but now after 1 1/2 years and several sharpenings, the edge just doesn't seem to last very long. Is it possible that the temper is gone from the chain? When I first bought the saw, and was learning the ins and out of proper cutting, I let the blade get pinched until is was smoking a couple of times. Would this ruin the chain?

The saw cuts well on a freshly sharpened chain, however after 1-2 hours of cutting, the saw is kicking out little more than sawdust and the cuts take forever, back to the shop to file the blade again.

Is it possible that the blade is simply worn out? I have hand sharpened the blade since it was new, would it be a good idea to take it to a professional at this point? I can buy a new chain for $15-$20, should I just buy a new chain?

Old 04-26-04, 06:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: raptor_z

Chains can be sharpened several times. That is not a specific number granted but done so because opinons (as it does in all cases) will vary.

Hand sharpening is actually touching up. Not sharpening, as it is done on machinery by a professional. Which is a sharpeners view point and not a users view point. Another opinion.

Depending on usage, a chain can usually be sharpened 3 to 5 times max. Much depends upon the operating conditions and maintainance of the chain and the bar.

Other factors are the wood type(s) and the contents of the material(s) being cut etc. Dirt and the like are enemies of the chain and bar. Rapid wear developes when chain and bar accumulate any type of grit, etc.

Same applies to the oil volume used, etc. Too little oil and heat developes rapidly, causes chain stretch, excessive wear on chain and bar and little self cleaning of the bar and chain, all of which decrease service life.

Much more to chain life than just the number of sharpenings. Much more.
On average, 3-5 sharpenings, under good conditions. IMO.

Recommendations would be to either have existing chain professionally inspected and resharpend, if possible. Chain replacement with a new chain.

Also needed, is a resurfacing of the bar rails. An often overlooked aspect of maintainance and another huge reason why chains develope rapid wear.

Sharp Advice. Web Sites Host, Forums Monitor & Sharpening Forum Moderator. Accurate Power Equipment Company. Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services. TCB4U2B2B Enterprises. Sharp Advice Business Management Services.

Trail & Errors, Practice & Patience creates perfect results.
Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quote:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DIY Sharpening Link:
http://www.tskgrinding.com/
Nationwide supplier of industrial knives and sharpening supplies.

Old 06-27-08, 04:20 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bar resurfacing

Could anyone tell me how to get a bar resurfaced ? is there a tool I can get to do it myself ? thanks

Old 06-28-08, 05:42 AM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Bar

Have you turned the bar over? If not, you have only gotten half the life of the bar. Also, try filing down the drag links on the chain. This will let the cutters take a deeper bite. Be careful here. Only two or three strokes with a flat file on each drag link.

Old 06-28-08, 04:38 PM
B
A chain will last for hundreds of sharpenings with a hand file if done right...... As long as there is still knife left to sharpen you can sharpen it. Proper hand filing takes alot of know how and practice and is not something that you just learn....you really need to have somebody teach you to do it. You can take the chain in and have it ground. The rakers do need to be filed down, but taking to much off will over work your saw and burn your clutch or engine up.

Never heard of resurfacing a bar. They can be dressed with a flat file. You take the chain off and just file the edges smooth again all the way around.

Old 04-14-11, 10:46 AM
J
chainsaw sharpener

I bought a grinder/sharpener from northertool and it works great.
I couldn't get the hang of it with a file. I use a Sthl and the chains are pretty pricey. I have more the paid for the sharpener. Once i got the hang of it it only takes me about 10 minutes a chain and its like brand new. I cut decent amount of wood 3-4 cords a year and have been rotating 4 chains for about 3 yrs now. After about 2 to 3 tanks of gas I feel they need to resharpened. Granted now I am spoiled with newly sharpened chains now. There are several brands of them. They all do about the same thing from what I could tell.
Happy Sharpening.

Old 04-14-11, 01:32 PM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Thread

This thread is almost 3 years old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: