Square drilling

Old 05-07-04, 10:05 AM
Square drilling

I need to drill thru 4x4s, 5/16" diam. Dont have a drill press, just a hand held electric drill. I have a long bit, about 18". I need to drill these straight and true --anyone have any quick tips or hints on a way to do this?

The first hole I drilled, using the usually trusty "eyeball" method, was about one inch astray when the bit came out on the other side.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-04, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
dave:

My idea would be to take a short piece of 4x4 and use a square to help get one good hole. then clamp this piece to the 4x4 you want to drill and use the first piece as a guide.

Old 05-08-04, 06:39 PM
Take a 2x4 and cut a "V" notch in the end. Use the notch to guide the drill bit.

Old 09-23-04, 05:03 PM
rtta51
Visiting Guest
square hole

If the bit is 18 inches and your only going thru a 4x4, lay a "combination" square or a "speed" square on its flat with the blade pointing up. place next to the point you want to drill. Keep bit parallel with blade, and in line if you know what I mean. Do about a thousand of these and you wont need the square anymore.

Old 09-23-04, 05:52 PM
sawdustdog
Visiting Guest
or get a shorter drill bit. Or better yet buy a Fostner Bit. A fostner bit looks like a thick disk with a shank. Once it starts cutting it won't deviate from the angle it was started with since it would start to bind.

Old 09-26-04, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by sawdustdog
or get a shorter drill bit. Or better yet buy a Fostner Bit. A fostner bit looks like a thick disk with a shank. Once it starts cutting it won't deviate from the angle it was started with since it would start to bind.
I like that suggestion. Using both..a shorter bit and a fostner bit, using the fostner bit for starters..then going to your shorter (than 18") bit. A spade bit may be easier as its doesnt collect the shavings!