Phuematic nailer

Old 05-07-04, 07:37 PM
blackhawk505
Visiting Guest
Phuematic nailer

Im wanting to buy a general purpose nailer anyone have any ideas what would be a good one to have,Maybe used for some light framing and stuff like base boards and such.Any help would be appreciated.James.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-04, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
James,

There is really no one nailer for all jobs.

There are brad nailers that shoot light guage brads up to two inches long.
Finish nailers that have a heavier guage nail up to two and a half inches long and framing nailers that have a heavier nail up to usually three and a half inches long.

A brad nailer is often the first nailer a person gets because of their low cost and their suitability for moldings and trim.

Old 05-08-04, 07:14 PM
I'd go with any of the combo units -- the ones with a compressor and brad nailer. The nailer is usually 18 gauge and only handles 1.5" nails. You can then add a 16 gauge nailer that will use up to 2.5" nails.

For your use, you probably want a smaller gauge nailer for framing, and then a larger one for things like baseboards where you want more holding power.

If you already have a compressor, then most nailers will do the job for light duty work. I personally have the Sears combo and added a 2.5" when I was putting on baseboard in a remodeling project. I haven't had any problems with it. Porter Cable and others offer packages at the big box stores, and any one should be OK.

I have both a nailer that is oiless and one that needs oil -- I prefer the oiless one, less hassle. Compressors that are oiless are noisier then one that need oil and are usually considered better (also more expensive).