Looking for a good dado blade, which one?

Old 05-16-04, 05:18 PM
sunday1999
Visiting Guest
Question Looking for a good dado blade, which one?

I'm looking for a good dado blade that is between costs anwhere between $100 and $200. Does any one have any suggestions on which brand works best?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-04, 08:54 PM
A few months ago, I got the Systi-Matic 8" dado set ($130) at my local Post Tool store. So far, I very pleased with it. I made my own zero clearance inserts for the most common dados I use (3/4" & 1/2") and I get almost no tear-out on thin veneered plywood.

Whatever brand you buy, get a set of magnetic shims - they cut setup time way down since you won't be fighting to keep the non-magnetic shims from sliding into the arbor threads while you stack the cutters. (When the shims slip into the arbor threads, they keep the stack from closing up correctly and that throws the whole thing out of balance.)

Old 05-24-04, 04:24 AM
My cousin and I went through this problem a few years back, with his UniSaw and my Contractors saw.
Here's what we decided. Don't waste money on an 8" dado when all you need is a 6" dado set. Reason - you'll not be cutting any dado's that a 6" dado won't cut. And on some saws it is VERY difficult to install 6" blades.
8" blades are overkill.

fred