Did I make a smart tool buy or a dumb mistake?

Old 05-20-04, 01:40 PM
Rhino1616
Visiting Guest
Did I make a smart tool buy or a dumb mistake?

Hi,
Im looking around for an air tool sets & I saw that Coscto had a 62pc Mastergrip set for $124.99 (Air hammer, impact wrench, air rachet, cut off tool,..etc). A local distributor was having a sale & I droped in & saw a him blowing out a Campbell Hausfeld TL1070 72pc set for $89.99 (air hammer TL1103, impact wrench 1102,air rachet 1101, NO cut off tool included). So I bought the CH, but Im starting to wonder did i make the right choice.
The mastergrip set didnt list the torgue power ratings on its box so I couldnt judge how powertful it was, and it seemed to have little extra do dads. On the CH box I bought says the impact wrench is 260Lb torque/ same as its says on the CH website, but when I look around the net at other distributors they list the same model TL1102 torgue @ 130Lb. TL1101 air rachet is 25lb torgue. Now Im confused did I buy a good quality set? what are the true ratings? is my 25Lb rachet to weak? Should i return this CH set (which the clerk told me is regular $150) and go for the Costco mastergrip?

Im not a professional mechanic I just fix my car in the back yard, any opinions or help is appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-04, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Rhino1616,

Comparatively speaking both sets are cheap air tools.
If you are comparing these to day in day out use tools that a mechanic would buy, the $89.00 you paid wouldn't even buy half a quality type impact tool.

You got what you paid for, a perfectly functional tool that will last for many years in home use.
Oil the tools according to the instructions, keep them clean, be especially carefull of putting an uncoupled tool down in the dirt and you will be happy with what you have bought.

I have a fairly extensive air tool collection and all of them are no name types that work really quite well.

Old 05-20-04, 10:30 PM
Rhino1616
Visiting Guest
Thanks GregH

Old 07-05-04, 11:44 PM
doug5566
Visiting Guest
drill press

hi guys im 14 amd i just bought a small ryobi drill press it runs **** so do u think i should just stick it on ebay and buy a $300 one?

Old 07-06-04, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
doug5566,

If it's new maybe you could return it.