Newbie on the circular saw

Old 06-11-04, 02:00 PM
Helfack
Visiting Guest
Newbie on the circular saw

I just bought myself a Black and Decker Firestorm circular saw and powerdrill/driver. The drill is working great, but I'm having issues with the circular saw. Unfortunately there were no directions on how to properly use the saw, just multitudes of safety warnings that came with it.

I was trying to cut a 2x4 for the reloading table I was making, and the saw keeps binding up. I make it in about 3/8" before this happens. I have the 2x4 clamped down tightly, and I make sure to get the saw fully started before making the cut. Still, it makes little or no progress while making the incision. I thought that since it was a short cut where precision is not a major issue that I did not need a guide alongside the saw to make the cut. Am I mistaken? The saw has 13 amps and should be able to cut through a 4x4. Help!

Last edited by Helfack; 06-11-04 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-04, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
More info please.

Helfack,

A couple of things that can cause this are a bad blade or wet wood.

It would be helpfull if you would post the exact model of your saw.
I hope it doesn't start any fires. I think you mean Firestorm.

Is this a plug in saw or battery powered?

Old 06-11-04, 03:35 PM
Helfack
Visiting Guest
Well, here's the saw.
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...56-70-FS1300CS

It is a new blade, and the wood is not wet.

Corded saw, so its not the battery that's an issue.

I'm stumped.

Old 06-11-04, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Helfack,

If it's the new blade that came with the saw I would suggest that maybe it's not the best quality.
I've seen those Firestorm tools and although I believe they would be perfectly serviceable in home use, I doubt they would include a blade of any decent quality.

I would suggest you purchase a reasonable quality, carbide combination blade and try it.
You would likely need a new blade in the future anyway, and if this doesn't fix the problem, you would then have a legitimate reason to return the saw.

Oh ya, I'm not a US resident and Lowe's needs a zip code to access their site or they make you register to look at their products.

Old 06-20-04, 08:18 AM
Be sure your cut is straight and true. Any fluctuation or tilling will also cause the blade to bind.

Old 06-21-04, 04:51 PM
Gr Gramps
Visiting Guest
Could it be that you have the blade backwards?

Old 06-23-04, 01:46 PM
Unless, as Gramps has posted, the blade is on backwards, there is no way the blade should bind cutting a 2 X 4. You say the wood is tightly clamped and I wonder if you have also clamped the offcut end? Doing so could cause the blade to bind due to internal pressure in some woods causing the cut to close on the blade. You don't have to clamp down the offcut end. If the offcut is quite long, just prop it up while you cut. To avoid a messy cut, you can cut the piece a bit long, then trim it to the correct size.

Old 06-24-04, 08:20 AM
To be sure the blade is on correctly, when looking at the saw from the side with a full view of the blade, the teeth should be facing counter-clockwise, that is turning up from right to left, since circular saws cut 'UP' .
The only time Ive turned the blade the other way, was when I was cutting vinyl siding...to avoid tearing...

Old 06-27-04, 11:41 PM
mistermarino
Visiting Guest
I can cut 2x4s with my Bosch 14.4 volt 5-3/8 inch cordless trim saw, so there is no reason your saw should struggle like that.
My saw did come with a very nice Bosch blade, so perhaps a poor blade is the problem. But even a crappy new blade should cut a 2x4.
I'm inclined to agree that where you're clamping the board (or perhaps where you're putting your weight on it with your other hand, if you're only using one hand to guide the saw) might be causing the cut to bind the blade.