Air Line Alternatives

Old 06-18-04, 12:06 PM
ccrrar
Visiting Guest
Question Air Line Alternatives

I want to run some air line and do not want to solder the joints. I can use the newer Transair system but the materails are somewhat expensive. Can I successfully use flared fittings on type L copper pipe. I know the pipe is ok, are flared fittings ok?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-04, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Flare fittings ok but tubing is not.

ccrrar,

You can most certainly use flared fittings but type L tubing can't be used as it is hard drawn and can't be flared
You will need to use soft drawn tubing that is sold in 50' rolls.

Old 07-02-04, 07:10 AM
Don11
Visiting Guest
Alternative air lines- Try high pressure black plastic water line, it is very easy

Originally Posted by ccrrar
I want to run some air line and do not want to solder the joints. I can use the newer Transair system but the materails are somewhat expensive. Can I successfully use flared fittings on type L copper pipe. I know the pipe is ok, are flared fittings ok?

Thanks
Try high pressure black water line- it is very easy to fix & all fittings/sizes are readily available. I have been using it for 15 years in a large Autobody shop with no problems. every few years a fitting or elbow may get a leak- just go to the local plumbing shop and pick up a new cheap fitting... Don11.

Moderator edit:

The use of plastic pipe of any kind for compressed air is prohibited by most codes and is a dangerous practice.
There is a specialty plastic pipe available that is approved for air but it is very costly.
The only place that some types of plastic air line is approved is when it is earth buried. Any above ground connections must be covered with approved shielding.

Plastic air line information.

Last edited by GregH; 07-02-04 at 10:23 AM.