Work Gloves.....

Old 06-20-04, 08:23 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Work Gloves.....

I guess these may be considered a 'tool'.
I dont know about many of you pros and DIY'ers, but my hands have been and still take a beating with all the various jobs I do.
I cant paint with gloves, thats for sure.
There are many other projects I get involved with where a good pair of snug fitting, yet flexible gloves would certainly be of help.
Anyone out there use gloves...and if so, what are you using?

Old 06-20-04, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
jatco,

I paint with gloves and use disposable vinyl ones. I used to wear latex gloves but they make my hands itch. You can buy them in boxes of a hundred for only pennies apiece.

For general work I use cheap leather work gloves that I can afford to throw away when they get too dirty, which happens fairly quickly.
If I need a good grip like when climbing ladders or working on live electricity I will buy expensive tight fitting ones, but that doesn't happen very often.

Old 06-21-04, 09:26 AM
I havent tried it yet, but I could give the disposable vinyl ones a try. Painting without gloves doesnt bother me....its the heavy and or dirty work that beats up the hands.
I use the cheap leather ones for heavy work, ie concrete and lumber etc...but theyre not suitable for the finer work.
I'll check into other gloves next time Im at the stores.
Thanks for the info

Old 06-29-04, 04:44 AM
pw1972
Visiting Guest
I just saw at the store, a neat pair of work gloves that had a magnet built into the back of them. Handy for holding screws and nails and stuff!

Old 06-30-04, 08:53 AM
Damn good idea. ..Ahhh.. Yankee inginuity.... Gotta love it!!!

Old 07-03-04, 05:44 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When mixing concrete, I wear latex gloves to keep the stuff off of my skin, with cloth gardening gloves over those to keep the gravel in the concrete from puncturing the latex. This works pretty good, and I imagine there are other applications where this combination would come in handy.

The latex gloves I use (eg. Mr. Clean heavy duty latex gloves) are thicker than regular disposable gloves, and last through many more uses before puncturing or splitting. I use them without the cloth over-glove for painting, wood staining, and messy stuff like that.

After painting, I turn the gloves inside-out as I remove them. Then the wet paint does not get on anything else when I lay them aside, and they are ready to be re-used in the future.

If I am involved with any fine delicate work, I simply don't wear gloves. In my case this often involves use of a Dremel or other power tool, in which case the snag hazard makes wearing gloves dangerous.

Old 07-04-04, 12:36 AM
Interesting..and good suggestions..Thanks
I guess I hadnt bothered about using gloves b/4, as I usually found them
clumbsy and not 'user friendly', so I did without. But I think I should look into hand protection more seriouly than I had in the past.
My neighbor is a framer and I happened to notice he had on a pair of tight fitting mesh type glove with rubber finger/thumb tips sewn in. I mentioned it, and he said he should have a pair that I could have. Have to try them and see how that goes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: