Central vacuum best kind?

Old 07-01-04, 05:39 PM
ArtJ
Visiting Guest
Talking Central vacuum best kind?

Hi, I want to install a central vacuum in our (new to us) house.

What kind is best to install?

Can it also be used for a home shop?

The dust pan feature looks really great as I will have a few hardwood floors.

Thanks, art.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-04, 11:17 AM
duajones
Visiting Guest
First, its a tough job to do in an existing home. Then I guess its a preference issue. I personally dont like having to deal with a 30 ft hose everytime I need to vacuum , but there are some definite advantages to a central vac. It takes the dirt out of your home which is great for those with allergies. Plus its pretty quiet since the suction unit is usually out in the garage. They do have a slight disadvantage to a good upright vacuum when it comes to carpet. If you decide to install one, take a look at the Beam units, some of the best I have seen.

Old 09-01-04, 01:20 PM
duajones,

My wife and I had a central vacuum system installed about 3 years ago. The cost of the unit, including installation was a little over $1400. We had priced a new Electrolux cannister vacuum since we had been devoted Electrolux users for almost 30 years. It came in at $1499.

We didn't include the dustpan for the kitchen and now we wish we had. Maybe we'll get it added for Christmas or something. Our system came with the "garage" kit, which includes the hose and 4 or 5 adapters. It plugs directly into the vacuum, which is mounted in the garage on the wall. If you contract a reputable installer, they don't seem to have any problem with an "old" house. It took them less than a full day to install ours...upstairs and down.

In short, ArtJ is correct in saying that the 30' hose can be a hassle. However, my wife and I would never go back to dragging all the weight of a cannister or upright (plus a long electrical cord) all around the house. The light weight of the wand is really easy on our aging backs. Now, one of the best parts is, again, as ArtJ says, is the fact that the vacuum itself is outside the house. My wife got our old vac out a couple of weeks ago to do something that she felt would be easier than with the central system. The house almost instantly filled up with that musty vacuum oder. We had forgotten how bad it was.

And, BTW, ours is a Beam....lifetime warranty and all. We love it

Go for it

Old 09-01-04, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
I would stay away from using a central vac for woodworking.
They don't have as much suction as a good shop vac and the canister would fill up in no time.

Old 09-02-04, 04:13 AM
ArtJ,

GregH is definitely correct about woodworking. I guess I didn't read your initial post closely enough to assume you may be thinking of using it for dust collection. That wouldn't work at all. I use the garage kit for vacuuming vehicles and for the fininshing touch on the shop floor after I have collected all the sawdust. It is also good for dusting all horizontal surfaces in the garage.

I have a Grizzly dust collection system in my garage for sawdust. This system operates on 220volts, uses 4" pipes, and a massive volumn of air and sawdust moves through them. The central vacuum system, on the other hand, is designed like any household vacuum cleaner to provide strong suction through a small hose with comparatively small amounts of dirt.