Precise Miters

Old 07-15-04, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Precise Miters

I have a project coming up that will require some very precise miters for the trim. I'm debating the idea of getting the Incra miter for my table saw or one of those guillotine type miter trimmers. Anyone have any experience with either?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-04, 09:52 PM
I was looking at the inca and it looks good

I,m just getting back into woodworking and have been reading a lot of the fine woodworking books

they have one on shop made accessories and they have several shop built miters and jigs that I would probably look at before I plunked down the money for the inca

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has the inca

Old 07-17-04, 06:48 AM
I got the Incra 3000 yesterday and will be testing it on miters soon......it does a great job on straight cutoffs. I'll let you know how it works.

The 3000 seems like a well made piece of equipment and it's pretty easy to set up. I like the way all angles can be 'locked in' in half-degree increments.

Yes, it's a bit pricey, but I'm cutting miters in some pretty exotic (i.e. expensive) hardwood so if I can eliminate even a few mistakes it should pay off.

Old 07-18-04, 04:06 PM
J
I would go with the guillotine. It comes with you.I got one from grizzly 10 years ago and it works beautiful. I don't know if they stil sell them. I think I paid 119$. You don't need the really expensive one that costs 300$ 0r so.

Old 07-22-04, 05:04 PM
To follow up since I asked the question in the first place, I cut 60 pieces of trim today (120 45* miters) today with the Incra 3000 and I nailed every one. Considering my earlier efforts (and mistakes), I estimate I saved ~20% on the trim material. Call me a happy camper!!

Old 07-27-04, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Nice work, Dave.. Looks like an awesome accessory....
Searched for it..and found some interesting comments..
"Weak point makes this tool unuseable
Rating: 2stars
The protractor head, associated knobs, fittings, and adjustable miter slot bar are very good and probably provide a high degree of accuracy. The problem lies in the attachment of the fence to the protractor head thus negating the protractor head accuracy."
Did you find this an issue in your work?

Old 07-27-04, 02:59 PM
Interesting comments..........I wonder if the commenter had actually used the miter or was just working from a picture or something.

They say it probably has a high degree of accuracy. Didn't they do any actual testing? I did and found it right on the money.

As to the comment regarding the attachment of the fence to the protractor head, I was a little concerned when I first saw it but it has proven to be accurate so far. Incra includes a ball-head allen driver that is used to loosen and tighten the two fence adjustment machine screws. This allows you to move the fence as necessary to just clear the blade depending on the angle you're using. I move the fence to within 1/8" of the blade which gives me good support of the workpiece at the point of cut.

Admittedly, I haven't used it much as yet so maybe problems are lurking.
But when I can make 60 pieces of trim and get repeatable lengths and perfect 45* miters, the tool that helps me do that gets a big thumbs up from me.

Old 07-27-04, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Good point(s).
Like you say, if you can do the 60 cuts right on.. then all the power to you...and your settings.
Perhaps youre right about the comments mentioned. Maybe the editor of them only did a 'test run' - and maybe not. Who knows!
This was the link I saw...
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/ourStore/...00051WSF.shtml
Id be curious to know if the author used this tool for more than 1 or 2 cuts...
Either way... if it works for you..and that expensive job... Im sure its a reliable asset.... Kudos.