Precisly Aligning a Hand Drill

Old 07-22-04, 07:28 PM
albireo33
Visiting Guest
Precisly Aligning a Hand Drill

Hello, I am building a unique light fixture that uses a modified string of Christmas lights fixed through very closely drilled holes along a narrow long beam. The beam is made of wood, and is 1.5"x1.5"x {4',6',8'}. I have a drill bit that I think is 3/8" that I use to drill the holes to for the lights, but my problem is drilling the holes so that they are precisely aligned. Because I have around 50 lights on a 4', for example, the space between the holes is less than 1/8". I'm using a normal hand drill, but I can't hold my hand steady enough to have all the holes aligned, even with all the positioning drawn out on the wood with pencil. Here's a URL of some pictures of what I'm trying to accomplish - any help or suggestions for getting these holes aligned would be very, very helpful!! Thanx.

http://homepage.mac.com/albireo33/PhotoAlbum10.html

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-04, 11:24 AM
Find yourself a small drill press. That will keep the drill in the correct orientation all of the time.

You could then build a jig to hold the piece for driling. Take a flat piece of wood and attach another piece 90 degress to it. Visualize a saw blade on a table saw that then has the rip fence next to it. You could use this homeais fence to keep the pice aligned in relation to the drill bit. You could also then drill a hole and place a piece of dowel to fit one of the already driven holes that brings the next hole into the precise distance apart you want the drill holes.

It's harder to expalin how this should look than to just be able to make it.

Old 07-23-04, 12:26 PM
albireo33
Visiting Guest
I think I get the gist of what you're saying, although I don't exactly have the funds to get a drill press - guess I'll have to hunt around to see if any of my friends might have one. Thanks for the tip with the guide, though!

Old 07-23-04, 12:44 PM
Wink

Ask around or on a www. There is a small like holder you put you hand drill in too and it will work like a drill press for you

ED

Old 07-24-04, 12:04 PM
I thought of this thread this morning I saw one similar to this at a garage sale for 10.00 including the drill motor

http://www.growinglifestyle.com/us/a...0/a165916.html

if your not in a big hurry looks like you might get one cheap on ebay

http://search.ebay.com/drill-guide_W...trypageZsearch