Stripped screws

Old 07-26-04, 10:03 AM
pw1972
Visiting Guest
Stripped screws

I'm curious what people use to get stripped screws out. Ive seen some craftsman products advertised for removing them, and all sorts of miracle drill bits, but never tried one. Would love to find something that worked better then a hacksaw or pair of pliers.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-04, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
I assume you mean broken rather than a stripped screw.

pw1972,

There are almost as many ways to remove a broken stud/bolt as there are situations.
There really is no such thing as a best way.
What you use will depend on if the head just broken and the thread portion is not tight or is jammed. Or is some is sticking out the back and you can just grab it with pliers and turn it. Whether the bolt is softer or harder than the base metal. If the broken bolt is wide enough to be able to drill or is it a #6 machine screw.

Godda problem or just asking?
If you are looking at just buying something for future use, you wouldn't be too far wrong to buy one of every different type of broken bolt remover you can get your hands on. No one tool will work in all situations.

Old 07-28-04, 06:34 AM
pw1972
Visiting Guest
No actual problem. I just got done with a project where I was using a lot of stainless steel screws. Those things are so weak, they snap and strip pretty easy. It got me remembering the bob vila advertisement for some stripped screw miracle remover.

Old 07-28-04, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
pw1972,

I use a fair number of standard SS screws and they are definately softer than steel sheet metal screws.
That stripped screw remover is for when a head is stripped and a screwdriver can't grip.
It won't do much good when there is no head.