Tools rusting?!

Old 08-24-04, 08:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tools rusting?!

Hi all,

I bought a new (old) house. I have recently put all my tools down in the basement. Damned if MOST of them are rusting, and they've only been down there for a week or two.

The basement doesn't seem overly moist or humid at all. My father has all his tools in a workshop by the garage that's more exposed to the elements than my basement is.

What gives. Can anyone think of a reason why my tools would start rusting and oxidizing this quickly?!

Chris

Old 08-25-04, 02:33 AM
C
If not a humidifier, you might try an exhaust fan. I keep my tools in a shop with no heat or airconditioning, but wax them periodically with johnsons paste wax. It also helps to keep them in an enclosed container.

Old 08-25-04, 05:30 AM
M
depends on the tool too

There are different coatings and steel composites. Some are more prone to rust and will, even if you keep it under your pillow, others won't rust in a fishtank. I think chfite is right, keep them boxed and waxed and you'll be okay. BTW, a rusty hammer will hit as hard as a shiny one, so don't sweat the small stuff too much

Old 08-25-04, 06:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think I'll try a fan first. I was hoping to not have to get a dehumidifier. That's just electricity money flying out the door. Yeah, I know a rusty hammer will hit just as well, but it's annoying to go down and see that my brand new socket set is rusted. Argh...

Will let ya'll know,

Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: