Air Wratchet runs while NOT triggered

Old 09-11-04, 10:36 AM
Air Wratchet runs while NOT triggered

Sears Pnuematic Air Wratchet
Model: 875-188020

It has been sitting for about 1 year but it is in good condition. When I plug the air hose in, it begins to run as if I pressed the trigger to feed air.

I opened the slot where the spring and pin are located and cleaned out what appeared to be hardened oil or wax. I also added tool oil. This still did not fix the problem.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-04, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
What makes the tool run when you depress the trigger is just an air valve and is probably plugged or corroded, especially if you had a lot of moisture in the air lines when you last used it.
What I have found that works quite well to clean out an air tool is WD-40.

Use the small extension that comes with some of the cans of WD and spray a generous amount into the air inlet opening.
Place a rag on the bench in front of the tool's air exhaust and operate the tool.
You can run through a fair amount untill it comes out clean and in your case if and when the air valve loosens up.
Run the tool untill all traces of WD are gone and then put about five drops of tool oil to lubricate.
When using the tool it is important to oil it but it only takes one drop every eight hours of tool use.
Too much oil can gum it up and possibly even cause the problem you are now experiencing.

If the WD doesn't free up the valve you will then have to take the tool apart to see what's going on.

Old 09-17-04, 10:25 AM
Problem solved. First issue: the gun was gummed up pretty bad from just sitting. A friend of mine said do not use WD-40 as it will gum up the gun. He ran some brake cleaner through it and it was nice and clean.

Still had the same problem. Well, when I opened the valve chamber to remove the old gummed oil, I must have dropped the valve ball. That's what was missing. I found out by getting on the Sears website and looking at the tool diagram. The part was $2.50 plus $5.50 shipping. I rummaged through my collection of odds and ends and found a steel bearing and put it in. Works like a charm!

Old 09-17-04, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Glad it worked out.

jmartin104,

As a solvent and cleaner WD-40 is more effective and safer than brake fluid to use on air tools.
Brake fluid will damage the seals in some air tools and will not remove moisture very well, which is what WD is designed to do.
Also, WD will evaporate to a certain extent and is thin enough to be forced out the vent hole.

It is recommended to put five drops of oil after WD because the moving parts will dry out due to WD's solvent action.

Old 09-21-04, 07:36 AM
I think he said "brake cleaner", Greg, not "brake fluid" Had it been brake fluid, there would have been a new thread called "what's a good air ratchet to buy"

Old 09-21-04, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Geeze, I just got new glasses too...............Thanks!

Brake cleaner might work ok.
Not sure of the effect on rubber seals that brake FLUID will attack or if it will remove moisture like WD. I'm also unsure if it's a good idea to strip ALL the oil and not having any lubrication untill the tool oil makes it's way to the turbine and furthest bearings.
Have to look into this though, maybe it could work.

I favor WD for quite a few cleaning tasks as it is fairly harmless to most materials and will evaporate to a certain extent.
The only thing I'm not sure of is WD for use in relieving arthritis symptoms.

Old 09-21-04, 09:21 AM
No, not brake fluid LOL. My friend runs a shop with about 10 mechanics. They all swear by this stuff. I read the label and it appeared fairly safe. The first thing I did though was to add oil and run it through. I think I'm safe running it just once - here's hoping. But normally, I use WD.