Opinions on $200 cement mixers?

Old 10-11-04, 11:20 AM
Opinions on $200 cement mixers?

I'm thinking of getting one for a slab project I will be doing in the spring, and keeping it around for other projects that may come up in the future. The ones I"m looking at are generally 1/2 HP electric models that hold 4-7 bags and rotate at 15-23 RPM. The capacity is sufficient for what I'll be using it for, but are these otherwise worth the money and effort?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-04, 08:25 PM
DIYNovice,

My own opinion is why buy if you can rent? It takes up space and usually not stored in a convenient place whre it is not an eyesore. This isn't very strong and depending on your projects, it may not be big enough (power wise).

It's a judgement call.

Old 10-16-04, 06:26 AM
I would vote for renting one too. Buying things is great, if you have the room to store it and plan to maintain it.

Old 10-17-04, 08:30 PM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by DIYNovice
I'm thinking of getting one for a slab project I will be doing in the spring, and keeping it around for other projects that may come up in the future. The ones I"m looking at are generally 1/2 HP electric models that hold 4-7 bags and rotate at 15-23 RPM. The capacity is sufficient for what I'll be using it for, but are these otherwise worth the money and effort?

1/2 HORSE is pretty weak......I use a 8 horse to mix mortar that doesnt have gravel in it and I only mix 1-2 bags at a time and it boggs down sometimes ....so this is prolly a bad deal. Most mixers run about 2 grand when buying them new.

Renting will prolly cost about 75 a day or 200 a week or 4-500 a month depending on where you live.

Old 10-20-04, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
I got one of those cheap mixers about three years ago. It's got a black drum and a red tubular frame.

First, you get what you pay for. It's a cheap mixer, but mine has lasted twice as long as I thought it ever would and it's still going strong. It will handle two 80 pound bags of concrete mix max.

I guess the big question is; what will you be doing? If it's just the one project and you can get it done in a day or two than I'd rent. The larger equipment will make the job go faster and you don't have to find a place to store the mixer when you are done. If you think you will be doing lots of little projects over the next couple years then try the cheap mixer.

Old 10-20-04, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
I have a cheap mixer that was given to me by our local lumberyard.
It's a size that will make one wheelbarrow FULL at a time.

I went to rent it a couple of years ago and when I got it home realized that the wiring was ripped apart, fixed the wiring and the starter switch on the half horse motor was also broken.
Called the lumberyard owner and offered to replace the motor for him and he told me that it was over ten years old and if I could fix it I could keep it.

Bent and cleaned the points on the switch and it's still going strong.

An added use for my small mixer that was discovered out of necessity.
If you throw in a bucket of hot water, a bucket of cold water, some laundry soap and your dirty, greasy coveralls, I discovered a good way to keep myself out of hot water.

Old 10-20-04, 07:44 PM
Greg,

Great story!

Thanks for a laugh - very practical indeed!

Old 10-21-04, 03:17 AM
Group Moderator
That's a great idea Greg, the cement mixer clothes washer. I've been sneaking my shop rags through the washing machine when my wife is out of the house... Somehow she always knows.

Old 10-21-04, 06:19 PM
I do cement work occasionally and have a $200 mixer. Works great, holds 2 bags (80 lb) or so all though I usually mix from scratch (pick up load of concrete mix and bags of portland cement). My suggestion is, if you can get the U-haul trailer (they hold 1 cu yd.) that's the way to go. To do a slab you need to keep a large area fluid to screed and float and even with a crew working the mixer you will be setting up too quick. Mixing yourself works good for mortoring brick in and 1/4 yard or less pours. If you need a 1/2 yard or more the trailer jobs can't be beat. More than 2 yards I'd pay the short charge and get the cement truck. Here (ca.) @ 3&1/2 yards there is no short charge to get it delivered. There is a lot to working even a small slab so get help. I did a 24' by 36' slab with 3 guys (including me) and it was BRUTAL, should have had at least 5.