cordless drills

Old 10-15-04, 07:29 PM
Question cordless drills

I am a renovater by trade and am in the market for a 12volt cordless drill my choices have been narrowed down to DeWalt or Rigid. I am leaning towards the rigid(R82001 Model) it has a 3 year warranty on battery and mechanical where as DeWalt is 1 year on battery and 3 year on mechanical. Does anybody have any comments on either cordless drill. I have never owned a Rigid brand tool before. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Luca

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-04, 09:13 PM
Ridgid is made by Ryobi.

If you are using the drill to install screws, then consider an impact driver. Nothing is better.

Old 10-15-04, 10:58 PM
Group Moderator
I bought a cordless drill earlier this year. I looked at DeWalt, Rigid, Milwaukee and Porter-Cable. I bought the DeWalt (and still love it) because it was the one I liked the best. All of these are good products. You're going to be using it a lot, so buy the one you think you will enjoy using the most.

Old 10-17-04, 08:42 AM
over the years I have been thru them all had 3 makitas, 2 milwauke's, and a dewalt

they all seemed to last me two to three years

I bought a ryobi 14volt and it lasted 6 years

just bought another ryobi two year warrnaty includes the battery

when I bought my ryobi last year rigid was offering a lifetime warranty that included batterys but they where also twice the price

Old 10-17-04, 10:29 AM
I have a Ryobi as well, only a year old. (18V) But as with most tools, it has to feel good in your hands to be worth it, IMO.
Nothing worse that a cumbersome or awkward tool to deal with!

Old 10-20-04, 12:39 PM
PegLeg
Visiting Guest
At work I used to drill and tap a lot of cast iron. We had Milwakee and Dewalt both in 12v and 18v. The 18v Dewalt was the best, hands down. These had 1/2" chucks.

At home I have a 12v Dewalt and 9.6v Makita. The Dewalt's in 12v with 3/8 chuck seem to be having a lot of clutch problems, mine included. The little Makita is almost 8 yrs old and one of the original batteries won't take a charge very well but the other one is still going strong.

Good luck on your choice of tools.

Old 10-20-04, 11:03 PM
Dadealus
Visiting Guest
I'm a mere home DIY guy, and I can't imagine life without 18V DeWalt tools. The drill/driver is really good, though my chuck got "rough" not too long after I bought it. Still works fine, but doesn't spin freely when loose like it did when it was new. I've drilled through 5000psi concrete with the hammerdrill setting without any trouble. I have one of the sets with 4 tools, 2 batteries, and use them all quite frequently.
A good question to ask a reviewer is "If you lost this tool today, what would you do". My answer is buy another one ASAP.