mitre saw by King Canada

Old 10-21-04, 07:18 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mitre saw by King Canada

Hi there, saw a 10" Compound Sliding Mitre Saw @ Costco - seems like a good deal < $200. Also, has Laser Guide on it...Made by King Canada - they have an industrial tool division under King Industrial.

What should I be looking for in terms of specs.

Have service locations across the country.

Any experience with this manufacturer + / -.

Thanks

Old 10-21-04, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
wendl,

King makes low end products.
I have one of their oil type small portable air compressors.
I'm happy with it but I only use it for ocasional jobs and only run it for a few minutes at a time.

I saw that sliding mitre saw at Costco and was interested, but found the whole sliding mechanism to be rather light, where the saw would move if you put fairly light side to side pressure on it.
It actually doesn't look too bad but I have some cabinet making projects coming up where I think I would want more accuracy than it could give.

For jobs where accuracy isn't important, like fencing or wall studs it might be ok.

Home Hardware has a 10" compound saw, non-sliding, on sale for $129.00 CDN which is a good buy I think.

Old 10-22-04, 08:29 AM
S
I haven't been to Costco lately so I don't know the model you are referring to but I can tell you that I use a King Canada 10" sliding mitre saw at my home and I really have no complaints. As Greg says, they make lower end products but that is really all I need at my home. My uses include baseboards, casing and trim, hardwood floors, and lumber.

For that price is sounds pretty decent. For me the slide is essential. Really opens up what you can do with the saw.

My suggestion is that for the price you will be quite happy with this saw. You may outgrow it at some point but that is likely several years down the road.

I usually pay as much attention to the place I buy the product than who makes it. For example, I always try to buy from Canadian tire or Home Building centre becasue I know that if I have any problems with the equipment I can bring it back to thos eplaces and they will take care of the repair/replacement for me. I do not know about Costco.

Old 10-22-04, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Steven,

I would trust your judgement for homeowner use on the Costco saw.

As a tradesman I have a fair number of high quality, top end tools, but probably have a greater number of low cost imports.

The trick is to be able to know what you need.

Old 10-22-04, 03:00 PM
W
Cool

Greg, as always sound advice, shows you are a 'pro'. Steven makes some points which I can closely identify with. My wife will happily tell you that I am not known for my great craftsmanship in finish carpentry. That said, I have installed hardwood floors, have changed all the millwork on the main floor, and have built some stairs and a small deck....my point is that I am handy.

Given that, would you still push me away from this saw, admittedly I may outgrow it, but I really like the sliding feature for that price point. For example, I need to install wainscoating in the kitchen and thats 5 3/4" wide, too big for my 10" compound saw too handle.

I can live w/o the laser feature and the fact that it must be purchased at Costco.

I went to the King Canada website and found that they have authorized service centres in the city.

I guess its all about Value - is this value for

Old 10-22-04, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Talking Thaks for the compliment but my hat doesn't fit me now.

wendl,

I'd say, go for it.
Keep all the packaging and paperwork during the warranty period and don't work it hard.
It should last quite awhile.

Also, the Royal Bank Visa and debit card will extend the warranty of items that are purchased with their cards.
Maybe others do as well.

Old 10-22-04, 11:18 PM
u2slow
Visiting Guest
For that grade of tool, you might compare it with Rona's "Airco" brand, or Princess Auto's "Power Fist". I would be wondering as to how true it will cut - and for how long.

I ended up with a Delta 10" compound non-slide for $225. Little things like a clamp, outriggers, angle presets, and better warranty made a difference for me. Then again, I have a table saw for the bigger cuts.

Old 10-23-04, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Talking Interesting, a thread full of Canadians.

If we're all here, who's minding the store?

u2slow,
Your right about the different brands of import tools.
I have seen the identical model of King compressor I have, with the Airco name as well as a few others.
Qualifying your opinion with the coment about having a table saw is important to the poster.
It's hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

I have two table saws and a a radial arm saw, that with a raised table and small blade can crosscut a 16" wide board.
Personally, I can afford to wait untill I either find the $600.00 CDN price of a quality sliding saw or at least convince the wife that eating is really not that important!

Tough decision wendl...............I'm feelin' your pain!
I'd still say go for it and let us know how it works out if you do.

Old 10-25-04, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=GregH]If we're all here, who's minding the store?

Personally, I can afford to wait untill I either find the $600.00 CDN price of a quality sliding saw or at least convince the wife that eating is really not that important!
....Hahaha.. I like the last part of that comment.
I would love to find the Makita double compound mitre saw..for $600.CAD$.. but not too much luck with that...
Ive used that..and found it to be most user friendly!

Old 10-26-04, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
tools

hi
Yoi can look here. I buy all my tools from them:
homier.com grizzly.com
cheer

Moderator note: Links removed

Last edited by GregH; 10-26-04 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 03:43 PM
S
Greg/Moderator,

That last post by pgtek has appeared in a couple of places. Looks like spam to me. Can the user be removed? I really like this Board and have come to rely on the advice I get here. Last thing I want is some guy giving me biased info.

Old 10-29-04, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
For future reference:

Stephen@Home,

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm glad you find this forum usefull and appreciate a hand in making sure everything runs smoothly.
Everyone here must follow the rules and it sometimes takes a while to learn the ropes.

pgtek has provided some usefull information and I'm sure will get the hang of things.

I can offer you some advice on how this sort of thing can be handled in the future.

At the top of each post on the right hand side is a red and white triangle with an exclamation mark.
If you click on this you can report the post and the reason for doing so.
If you wish to research a members posts to check to see what they have been posting, you can click on the user name at the top of the post and select "Find all posts by....."
When you report a post Moderators in the specific forum get a notification by email.
Also, you can feel free to PM a moderator if you have any concerns.

Edit:
I made an error in suggesting a member could search for posts.
I forgot that because this site has been upgrading its software some functions are not available to all.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Last edited by GregH; 11-02-04 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-03-07, 02:32 PM
S
Thumbs up King Canada Sliding Compound Mitre Saw/Costco

Hi there. I'm new to this site, but I couldn't help but read some of the reviews on King Canada equipment. I have their 10" sliding compound mitre saw, and for me it was worth every penny and more. Although I'm not using it on a daily basis as a contractor would, it's quality and extras is by far one of the best buys out there, and it would make an excellent choice for someone's hobby workshop. I've completely redone all of the oak work in my entire house from fireplace mantel to baseboards and intricate inlaid oak feature wall, and it has performed flawlessly. As with any tool, it has to be setup properly in order for it to do the job properly. I had to make slight adjustments to the mitre stops, and to the built in laser system but once they were done (which didn't take long) it was ready to go. I purchased the saw at Costco, and feel quite confident that if it needed service work that I could find a warranty depot close by. Remember, that I bought this for what it was intended for. I use it as good quality, medium duty hobby tool and if you know what to expect when you buy it, it deserves of 5 out of 5 for performance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: