crafstman table saw 50 years old

Old 10-27-04, 11:06 AM
jdresen
Visiting Guest
crafstman table saw 50 years old

Looking for a control knob w/ stamping on the inside of 38415-103. The Craftsman manual has it listed as part #38120 (hand wheel). 88 year old Dad still woodworking and having difficulty with worn out control knob.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-04, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
jdresen,

Not exactly sure which part that is.
Is it the one that you turn to raise/lower the blade?

What did Sears say and what model is the saw?
Does the knob have about a 3/8" hole with a grove that matches a pin in the shaft?

Old 10-28-04, 04:12 AM
jdresen
Visiting Guest
Greg,

That is correct, it both lowers/raises the blade and by pulling out and turning it will tilt the blade. The knob does have a round receiver that the shaft fits in to. In that receiver is a cross piece that engages a slot on the shaft. A set screw tightens the knob to the shaft. The cross piece is worn to where it no longer engages the slot on the shaft.

Sears says parts for that saw no longer available. He'll jerry rig something to get by but was hoping to find the correct part for him.

Old 10-28-04, 10:08 AM
That sounds VERY similar to my 50's TS, 103.2000 which shows that part # to be 53260 - Handwheel w/set screw. Operates as you say yours does.
Good luck tho, find the part!!!

Old 11-14-04, 05:23 AM
Dirty Fingers
Visiting Guest
I would go to a machine shop and ask them if they can machine something for your saw. Your chances in finding a part that old are extremely slim. If there is a sentimental or practical value for your saw then get the part made.

Old 11-14-04, 08:55 AM
Just an idea.....
but how about either using the same hole.. or drilling one slightly larger than the original so you can fit a cotter pin thru the turn knop and cross piece???
Might be hard to drill at the back of the turn knob..but maybe a cotter pin might hold the 2 together!!

Old 11-14-04, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Lightbulb Just a thought.

jatco's idea could work!

It reminded me of something I have done:

You might be able to epoxy the knob in place if it can be in a fixed position.
Five minute epoxy may hold it securely but it is quite brittle and easy to remove when stuck to metal.