baseboard molding removal

Old 10-29-04, 01:59 PM
frankandgrace
Visiting Guest
baseboard molding removal

I need to remove basebord molding in preperation to paint walls and then install wood flooring. I want to take it out without damaging it and the wall in the process. What tools should I be using to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-04, 02:17 PM
Use a short pry bar (commonly called a "wonderbar" ). It is flat and has a curved end also. Find the nails and place a thin (1/4 inch) piece of board between the wall and the bar. Push the bar down into the top of the molding and pry against the 1/4 inch board with the bar. This should protect the wall. Work your way down the baseboard until it is all loose and then go back to the start point to finish each piece. EASY PULL is the key word here. Installer may have used nails with large heads instead of finishing nails and you have to make sure you are not ripping the baseboard with the heads. Good luck and post back.

Old 10-29-04, 02:26 PM
frankandgrace
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick response. I'm off to the hardware store (again). I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 10-29-04, 04:55 PM
there is a speclity bar for molding made by shark tools

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/cgi-bin/d...pe=AsinSearch#

home depot has a generic version of it also

its thinner than the "wonder bar " and really does a superb job with moldings

Old 10-29-04, 06:57 PM
Often times the moulding are caulked in so run a razor knife through the caulking first if this is the case. Also I use the wonder bar but sometimes starting with a heavy 4" putty knife will get the gap to open to get the thicker wonderbar in. Be very carefull prying against the sheet rock or? as pointed out by majakdragon as it is easily damaged by prying pressure.

Old 10-30-04, 07:53 AM
frankandgrace
Visiting Guest
I had good success with the small pry barr. My 12yr old did most of the work ! We had some damage on the corners but all minor and a few pieces were broken. The smaller pieces about 2-5" were the damaged ones, they seemed to have more nails in them. I don't think I can reuse them.? They are broken in half.

Old 10-30-04, 12:27 PM
Glad you had some success. Molding usually breaks with the grain which is usually horizontal. Might be able to glue them back together. Breaks were probably there before....thus, so many nails (nailed pieces in).