Compressor air-line filter?

Old 11-16-04, 07:08 AM
Compressor air-line filter?

I've read the very useful compressor forum threads. Very informative.

My question pertains to in-line filters. I have your standard oil-less Sears 5hp unit and want to install a filter, mainly for the purpose of eliminating moisture from the line. I want to install the filter at the tank, just downline from the regulator, after which I run about 75' of hose. I don't use the compressor for painting, just various impact tools and am aware that painting would necessitate a better unit and less hose between filter and gun. I'll address that down the road.

I'm a little hesitant to install some plastic piece of crap, but am a little daunted by the choices presented, for example, in the Grainger catalog.

Can anyone provide me with some counsel with regard to what I should get?

Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-04, 07:18 AM
Norgren makes some outstanding air compressor additions as far as filters and oilers. They are commercial grade and even though they have plastic parts they are not cheaply made junk. Believe Grainger may even carry them but so do lots of other places. Good luck.

Old 11-16-04, 09:08 AM
mark065
Visiting Guest
I agree. Norgrens are excellent quality.

Another place to check out besides Grainger is McMaster Carr

Old 11-16-04, 10:19 AM
just one more thing

I would install the regulator after (dowstream) the filter. For one, regulators are prone to gumming up and rust from unfiltered air. Two, the filter is going to drop the pressure in the line, so you won't get an accurate psi reading.

Old 11-18-04, 05:51 AM
That's a good suggestion re: filter placement.

I visited the Norgren site and am still a little too ignorant to make a decision. At this point, I'd like to know how much filter is enough? They offer a 40 micron filter. Is that small enough for my needs?

Old 11-19-04, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by Gratefulgary
They offer a 40 micron filter. Is that small enough for my needs?
That's plenty. One advantage of an oil-free pump is that you don't get oil in the line So the filter won't get dirty and clogged for a long time. Good luck.

Old 11-21-04, 07:19 AM
Excellent!

Thanks everybody.

Old 11-21-04, 04:27 PM
Peteski
Visiting Guest
Air filters

If you stop and think a little bit, compressed air right out of the tank is going to be pretty warm, hence, it will have much more moisture in it. Having the filter and regulator at least fifty feet downline will be a lot cooler. It will trap a lot more moisture that way.

Old 11-21-04, 07:17 PM
Point well taken. That's why I will configure separate plumbing for painting. For my current application, which entails dragging the hose, that comes off a reel, all over the place outside it's not really practical to have the reg. and filter that far downstream. It's a compromise, but otherwise I'd have to rig a separate set-up outside and then still have 25' of hose from there to work from.

Does it really make that much difference?