Stud finder and laser level

Old 12-01-04, 10:04 AM
Stud finder and laser level

Would like recommendations for brands of a stud finder and a laser level for my husband, a great do it yourselfer............Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-04, 10:47 AM
Go with Zircon. They're the folks who invented the electronic stud sensor and they make lots of them for other brands. They make everything from a simple pocket size one, but I'd opt for at least the ones will the "deep scan" option.

They used to make a couple of different lazer levels as well, but being electronic devices they're constantly improving (and reducing prices on) their product line.

Some of it's available at Home Depot but lots of the electrical wholesalers have the line. Graybar doesn't carry it in every branch but they all have access to it.

Frank

Old 12-01-04, 02:46 PM
Laser levels

I agree with the Zircon stud finder recommendation - the new ones have audible signals as well as the visible indicators.

Laser levels come in many flavors, depending on what you want to spend.
Mine is like a torpedo level, so it's only about 12" long. Due to the short length, there is much room for error. I do not use it very much and it was fairly expensive for the amount of use it gets. Be sure he can return it for something else if you decide to proceed with this item.

The stud finder is fairly inexpensive and will see much more use around the home.

Old 12-01-04, 04:16 PM
stud finder

I also use and can recomend Zircon stud finders
But I stick with traditional levels

Old 12-01-04, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
I agree,

Zircon for a studfinder and maybe reconsider the laser level.

If you think he might like a laser level, a picture from a catalogue and a gift certificate might the best bet.

Old 12-01-04, 06:02 PM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Also agree with a Zircon. Check these out:
http://www.zircon.com/

I would be hesitant about a laser level - 'unless' you know he wants one.
As useful as they can be, I don't believe that they're something the average diy'r needs - and will use all that often. (And this is coming from someone who believes in "any excuse for a new tool.")

As said, they can be very useful. But most times, a vial level, a line level, or even a water level will serve the purpose. BUT - if that's what he wants, then that's what he gets

Prices vary considerably depending on model.

Aarno

Old 12-01-04, 06:43 PM
I have a problem with a $50.00 tool that says it can be off as much as 1/4 inch in 30 feet. Be sure to read the disclaimers if you buy the laser level.

Old 12-02-04, 05:25 AM
IHI
I agree with majakdragon on this. A freind bought a laser level earlier this year and was pretty pleased, I started reading all the fine print and took note of the accuracy within a stated difference, think his was 1/2" in 50', I started looking at the other brands on the market when "playing" in the tools sections looking for the next latest greatest. The norm seems to be 1/4" in 25'-30' which would not be bad for a very short run, but still more than I like to see/trust, not to mention the one we bought is kind of a pita to set-up I'm yet to try one that "goes around corners" like they show on T.V. since many homecenters around here often have displays set-up so you can play with the tools first hand before purchase.

With the little bit of time we've had trying a few of these tools, IMO your better off saving the money and spending on something else.

Old 12-02-04, 08:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Zircon rules ! Ive had three different Zircons and they work great.
I also have a new one that I didn't 'buy' as such, it comes on the new Skil 14.4 drills and works as good as any Zircon (could be made by them) It's really nice factor is it's small size, can be slipped into your top pocket while you're up a ladder etc.

Old 12-13-04, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Aarno
I would be hesitant about a laser level - 'unless' you know he wants one.
As useful as they can be, I don't believe that they're something the average diy'r needs - and will use all that often. (And this is coming from someone who believes in "any excuse for a new tool.")

As said, they can be very useful. But most times, a vial level, a line level, or even a water level will serve the purpose. BUT - if that's what he wants, then that's what he gets

I'm a DIYing husband, and my wife bought me a laser level for Christmas last year. Don't tell her, but I almost never use it. It's a clumsy tool IMHO, not very precise, and I can only see the laser line well enough to use it if the lighting is bad. FORGET using it outdoors in the daytime. Aurgh!

I'll take a good 4' level, and, for longer distances, a water level...it's precise to within a pencil thickness for up to...ummm...how long's the tube? Yeah...that far!

LOL...I had to start over...first time I started typing this, she walked in.

Old 12-14-04, 04:35 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chirkware
LOL...I had to start over...first time I started typing this, she walked in.
Thanks for risking the wrath to provide real "from the trenches" DIY info