Dewalt vs Hitachi

Old 12-01-04, 04:40 PM
paulgoh
Visiting Guest
Talking Dewalt vs Hitachi

I am currently having a very hard time deciding between two sets of cordless combo:
Hitachi KC18DL cordless combo kit
Dewalt DC6KITA cordless combo kit

Here are my thoughts about Hitachi tools:
1. Exceptional quality and power, I own one of Hitachi's latest 14.4V cordless impact wrench, and it blows away any dewalt impact wrench in quality and power (My wrench is made in Japan): Linky
2. Dual power.
3. NIMH 3.0 AH batteries.
4. Many people raved about the reliability/longevity of Hitachi tools.

Here are my thoughts about Dewalt tools:
1. They have the most complete range of cordless tools among all manufacturers. Their cordless vacuum and nailer are very interesting. I can get individual tools without those extra chargers and batteries.
2. They are currently giving away an additional free tool by mail-in-rebate, and I have been eyeing their 300 ft lb cordless impact wrench DW059k-2 for the longest time: Linky (It will complement my lower powered Hitachi impact wrench very nicely.)
3. Their tools are widely available, with tonnes of accessories and replacement parts available everywhere. Just look at the amount of dewalt tools selling on ebay. Hitachi is not available at Homedepot or Sears.
4. They have a good reputation for quality and reliability.

Any opinions? Thanks!

Old 12-01-04, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
I flipped a coin and came up with Hitatchi.

Plus it's cheaper and I prefer the green color.

Seriously though, I would get my hands on them.
I had looked at a 24volt Bosch 1/2" hammer drill that had specs that couldn't be beat and looked like a piece of art.
Sad part was when I picked one up, I could barely lift it with one hand.

I'm sticking with my 12v Makita and corded hammer drill.

Old 12-01-04, 06:37 PM
paulgoh
Visiting Guest
It might be a mistake to limit my choices to cordless tools only.

Look at all these wonderful corded tools:
1. Skil HD77M MAG 77 7-1/4" Wormdrive Circular Saw: Linky
2. Milwaukee 6521-21 Heavy Duty 11 Amp Orbital Action Super Sawzall: Linky
3. Bosch 1590EVSK Top Handle Jigsaw: Linky

I should definitely open up my options to include them as well...

Old 12-01-04, 07:36 PM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
You typed, quote: "It might be a mistake to limit my choices to cordless tools only."

Just a comment... Since retiring, I do most of my own remod's and repairs on properties I own. By necessity, this means owning a fairly large selection of tools. As handy as cordless tools are, I much prefer good quality name-brand corded power tools. Can't beat their power and reliability.

While I've used a variety of cordless tools, the ones I own are confined to a DeWalt 18v drill/driver because it's sometimes quicker when having to drill only a few holes. And also a DeWalt CS that I bought only because it came with the kit. Used only occasionally. And my favorite cordless tool by far is a Makita 12v Impact Driver (driver, not wrench) . At only 3.3 lbs, 887 inch lbs of torque, and 6 5/8" stem to stern - it easily provides nearly all driving needs.

Point being - as useful and convenient as cordless tools can be, there's just no substituting for corded power and durability. (jmo)

Aarno

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: