fancy protractor

Old 12-02-04, 07:47 AM
fancy protractor

Been looking at the protractors and rulers with laser-cut marking holes. Incra and General both make them. Anyone used either or both of these and are they worth the money?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-04, 09:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi Older'ndirt,
The incra ruler is great for precision work if you use it with a really fine lead mechanical pencil. I have an ancient Pentel 0.3 mm. (yes, that's less than a third of a millimeter, or about one eightyth of an inch! )
- the protractors, I don't know if they're worth their money. My favorite was bought in a local toolstore and cost less than $5. It's by CCKL, and is yellow plastic and has a 6" adjustable arm to rule your lines on. VERY accurate ! (I'll post a photo of it later)
If you find these kind of instruments handy, you should visit your local graphics or architectural supply store, they have great products for woodworkers or machinists that you can't find in the tool stores . I particularly find the line of Staedtler plastic templates very handy.

Old 12-07-04, 04:55 PM
fancy protractor

Nomind
I do love a good gadget. An accurate plastic protractor with movable arm would suit my needs very well. All I've found is a school supply model made by Fiskars but I'll look where you suggested. Since posting, I've read some reviews of the fancy jobs and the concensus seems to be "nice but seriously overpriced".

Old 12-08-04, 12:51 PM
I'll try to post a photo of the CCKL this evening when my better half (the computer genius) gets in from work. If you like it I'll be glad to send you one , they're currently $5.69, Cdn. (which is probably less than 4 US)

Old 12-08-04, 07:39 PM
fancy protractor

Nomind
If it's as good as you say, I'll take one sight unseen. Been over your beautiful Fraser Valley a couple of times in a light plane headed for Alaska, my former home. Did a customs check at Kamloops the first time then Prince George the next. We're in Washington now, about 18 miles south of Olympia. One of these years we'll make it up to Abbotsford for that fabulous air show.

Old 12-13-04, 04:27 PM
Hey, Older'n'dirt, - i have the tool for you. Check your private mail.

Old 12-15-04, 11:41 AM
Hey, Older'n'dirt, - I got the tool for you. Check your private mail.

Old 12-16-04, 08:06 AM
nomind
Checked the mail - hasn't arrived yet.