Question about my new compressor.

Old 12-11-04, 07:19 AM
rodejo
Visiting Guest
air compressor

hallo, I just bought a Campbell Hausfeld Compressor in a box.
It comes with a 2" brad nailer kit.
It is a 125 psi max.
I don't know much about these things but to do small things at home
i always had to borrow somebody's air compressor.
I just want to know if this one is any good?

Old 12-11-04, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I havn't seen many compressors that weren't "good".

What you really have to ask is what I bought, good for what I intend to use it for.

What is bad is if you have bought a compressor that is too small for what you intend it to do.
If you only want to blow up the odd tire and use the nailer that came with it, I'm sure it would be excellent.

Perhaps if you told us exactly which model you bought and what you intend to do with it we may be able to tell you more.

Also I split your question from the thread you originally posted on.
Please use the reply button in this thread.

Old 12-11-04, 05:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Campbell Hausfeld has been in the air tools and compressor business for many years so I'd say you got a decent unit. Like GregH says, though, the real answer will depend on what kind of stuff you need to use it for.

Old 12-13-04, 04:52 PM
hi
i had a campbell compressor and it said it was 125 psi but infact only 90 psi it had a sensor built in.
works fine with nailer for soft wood but hard wood not enough psi
hope this helps

cheers

Old 12-13-04, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
pgtek,

It is possible that your nailer would penetrate deeper into hard woods with higher pressure but most air tools are designed to work at 90 psi.

There is a good chance that your airline is too small.

Most pressure controls are adjustable, but the ones that are, have both a range and differential setting and you must have the mfrs specs before adjusting it to make sure the right screws are turned, and in the right direction.
If you don't have the info on the switch, you may mess the settings up enough to have to replace the control.

Old 12-14-04, 05:32 AM
Before you start messing with the pressure settings, make sure that you're holding the nailer tightly against the work - and that the work can't move. Nailers will "bounce" (recoil) more if they aren't held firmly against the work - or the work moves when you nail it.

Old 12-14-04, 08:14 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rodejo,

being from langley, it sounds like you may have got a cantire special. if it is the pancake style with a yellow tank then I have used it extensively (both with the brad nailer and with other tools). my experiences with the CH nailer kits are mixed.

the nailers don't have options for countersinking and they are not that durable. I split one just by tightening the coupling a little too hard while threading it in. simply put these are for the home user and are intended for moderate use at best. having said that, they will work fine for what they are intended and most retailers will swap out busted parts on the spot at no charge.

the compressor is a different story. if you picked up that yellow pancake unit you should be happy for small jobs. it is an extreme duty so it comes with a 3 year warranty. the psi is probably irrelevant since most tools that use such small amount of air have an upper limit of 100psi anyway. the only real drawback is that the compressor is a bit noisy. you said you want to do "small things at home" and I think this one will serve you well. just be sure to drain the tank after use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: