Old Electrical Drill

Old 12-12-04, 08:54 AM
Wilmot
Visiting Guest
Old Electrical Drill

Hopefully this is the correct Forum for my question. My Father-In-law passed away and I came into possession of an electric drill that needs repair. However, I can't find any information on this particular model. It was manufactured by Fairbanks Ward Industries Inc out of Chicago Ill. The model is 303 with serial number of 85J. I know that it needs brushes and a good general cleaning. Can anyone help or assist me in locating information about this drill.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-04, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi Wilmot
- I like collecting old tools too. I've never heard of this one, but you might get info here - http://woodworking.about.com/od/oldtools/
Regarding brushes, I have often made ones to fit where I can no longer get original. I have a collection of old brushes from auto generators and starters. These are fairly easy to reshape , the only thing necessary is for the wire to be in the right place. I sometimes get odd ones from our local Starter/ alternator re-build shop.
- good luck with it, and even if you can't get it working it'll look good cleaned up and on the workshop wall.

Old 12-13-04, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by nomind
even if you can't get it working it'll look good cleaned up and on the workshop wall.
Thanks for the quote nomind
Now I can show my girlfriend proof I'm not the only one that does this
Haha!

Old 12-13-04, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
I couldn't find anything on your drill.

Do you plan to repair it yourself?
What exactly does it do when you try to use it?

Old 12-13-04, 07:53 AM
if its old enough to have a metal case I would recommend hanging it on the shop wall as reminder of your father in law

and getting a modern double insalated drill to use

Old 12-13-04, 12:07 PM
Wilmot
Visiting Guest
Smile Old Electric Drill

Well I don't plan to use it and I do have several drills. I want to be able to say that it works. And as to the previous post. The drill definately needs new brushes. Already had it apart and inspected the innerds (sp). Everything looks OK, but a lot of old, heavy grease. And it will definately look good with the metal case cleaned up. Appreciate all the replies, however, still looking for information about it.

Old 12-13-04, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
I put the search term "old electric drill" into Google and came up with 727,000 hits!
I have a bit of spare time but not that much!

If you want to fix this drill yourself we can likely help with that.

Old 12-13-04, 03:02 PM
like greg said Id be glad to offer a opion on how to fix it

as long as your the one pulling the trigger once its plugged in

Old 12-13-04, 03:24 PM
Wilmot
Visiting Guest
Smile Old Electric Drill

Greg and Mango Man are true friends. "We'll plug it in and you pull the trigger". Well I did plug it in and pulled the trigger earlier. A little smoke and sparks. The brushes have about 1/8 inch remaining and definately need changing. "Nomind" told me what to do about the brushes and I think I can make (reshape)some to replace these if I can not find the real article. What I would like to know is the grease (looks and feels like axel grease) need replacing. It is caked and hard in some places. The wheels and gears seem to be in excellent condition. I don't know about the motor. The area where the brushes make contact are a little ragged (dirt and grime) and may be the reason why it sparks. Oh, almost forgot, when I ran it, it produced a odor of burning something. Not to bad of a smell, not quite like gunpowder, but close. Anyway I will continue puttering with it.

Old 12-13-04, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Smile mango,

Don't worry, if he decides to fix it and follows our instructions I think he will be quite safe!

Holy cow! Do you see the same new smilies I do!!!

Old 12-13-04, 04:16 PM
Hey Guys , There is NOTHING wrong with hanging good looking surplus or old tools on the shop wall, - but you have to be careful it goes over right !
The other day I was puttering there, making space for a 1950's belt sander I got at the swapmeet for $8.50 , the wif comes down (very unusual) and looks around going 'hmmm' . I say what's up, she replies "just looking for ideas for Christmas, but you seem to have it all "! - Me (flustered) "well no, not really, lots of these are antiques" She- "oh so you never use them" -( this is wif logic, we'll never understand it)- Thank God, my 6 yr old grandson is there and says "yeah, Grandma, we use them all the time" -She -" well if you use all them, you don't need more huh " ? G'son just looks at me and She says -"He's getting just like you with toolthings" !
- YES- the little guy is growing up to be a proper DIY tool junkie

Old 12-13-04, 09:20 PM
What makes something a "hot" topic (orange envelope) I always thought it was # of answers, but this one isn't yet, with 10 posts and I see a few with only 3-4 posts thatARE -how come

Old 12-14-04, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by nomind
What makes something a "hot" topic (orange envelope) I always thought it was # of answers, but this one isn't yet, with 10 posts and I see a few with only 3-4 posts thatARE -how come

Number of views perhaps? This one has over 500 views...