What do i buy?

Old 12-19-04, 08:55 AM
g_clark_uk
Visiting Guest
Question What do i buy?

I am a new homeowner and looking to build up my collection of tools and D.I.Y equipment for the abundance of jobs I have to do. How do you assess good build quality of equipment or tools when buying them in a store? Is a known brand name always the best product? Can price be a guide? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-04, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Welcome g_clark_uk

Your question is a good one but is very hard to answer because tool quality is entirely dependant upon price and not everyone needs the same quality/priced tool.

My suggestion to you is that if tools are totally unfamiliar, you would do well to read back posts on this very same question to get a feel for what tools are all about.

The question"which tool is better" has no single right answer.

Old 12-19-04, 05:11 PM
justmyopinion
Visiting Guest
If you are going to working with bigger stuff, and you need quality tools, your best bet is Craftsman, they have a life time warrentee on all of their tools.

If you are just going to be doing little projects, and you dont plan on banging a hammer on a ratchet, to help loosen up a 1in. bolt, I would recommend TOOL SHOP tools they are alot cheaper but they have a decent warrentee, as well. Also after you buy the basics, Look for sales every week, at Lowes, Home Depot, Menards,etc. and slowly buy tools more, it doesnt even have to be the same brand, as long as it does the job for you.

Ebay has alot of tools on there but, most of them are Snap-On, Mack,etc. a little more expensive.
but if you keep watching on there, you can pick up ods and ends for a descent price,

If you start buying tools now, you will never quit, it become adiction, lol

HOPE I COULD HELP...

Old 12-19-04, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
It's a big world out there.

I should point out that g_clark_uk is likely from the UK, Britain perhaps.

Where abouts are you anyway?
It's nice to hear from the other side of the ocean.

Do you have any of the stores mentioned and what large hardware chains do you have?

Old 12-19-04, 07:52 PM
justmyopinion
Visiting Guest
Sorry, i never thought about that, i suppose not much of what i said made much sense then?

Old 12-19-04, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
That's no problem justmyopinion,

We don't get enough posters from over there that WE might learn something.

I get a kick out of the odd post I see in plumbing when someone asks why my "electric shower" isn't working.

Old 12-19-04, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This may be of little or no help to g_clark_uk but others may benefit so I thought I'd post about it. I noticed that Fine Homebuilding has released their 2005 Tool Guide (basically a buyers guide) which provides reviews on 300+ tools from a huge array of users (both pro and DIYers). Certainly not a complete replacement for the kind of interactive advice you get on this Board but I like their rating guides because they give you tangible criteria that they have used to develop their rating. For example the circ saw review compares 10 models and evaluates each in categories such as ergonomics, weight and sightlines. This way if you really care strongly about something like weight (or don't care at all) it is sometimes more helpful than reading something like "delta makes really good saws, you will be happy with them".

I should mention I haven't seen this years tool guide yet as it is just out but at $10 I did suggest to my wifre that if would be well received if it made my way into my stocking this year.

If you are interestd it is published by Taunton Press and can probably be found on their site somewhere (search "Taunton press").

Old 12-22-04, 03:23 AM
g_clark_uk
Visiting Guest
Thanks

In reply to GregH (my name is also greg) I am from the UK, Nottingham in fact but I am always interested in the products the US has on offer and from the information given I will do a bit of research if only to increase my knowledge base. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I hope to speak to you all again soon.

Old 12-22-04, 03:30 AM
g_clark_uk
Visiting Guest
One last thing

I forgot to answer GregH when he asked about the stores we have over here. We don;t really have any of those that were mentioned we mainly have 2 main stores which are B & Q which have most of the market and Homebase. Thats it really. MOst of the smaller chains are owned by one of these giants.

Thanks.

Old 12-22-04, 05:20 AM
greg UK

my brother and sister in law lived in the uk for a while and she was saying you had to be a licenssed builder to shop for lumber

is that true or can anyone buy lumber and building supplies ?

she is a artist and we where admiring a frame she made for one of her pieces and she said it was from a cabinet shop near where they lived she went on with the story that the avrage person couldnt go and buy wood like we do here

Old 12-22-04, 08:58 PM
C
Originally Posted by justmyopinion
If you are going to working with bigger stuff, and you need quality tools, your best bet is Craftsman, they have a life time warrentee on all of their tools.

Keep in mind, Craftsman *hand* tools carry a lifetime warranty. Their power tools do NOT. They usually come with more like a one year warranty.

Old 12-24-04, 02:02 AM
g_clark_uk
Visiting Guest
Building supplies

Hi mango man

You can buy any supplies you like from wood to concrete, builders merchants are often cheaper but home improvement stores are getting more competetive. You don't have to have a licence to buy, that is very strange.

Old 12-28-04, 02:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Chirkware, -
that's a good point, I'm amazed at how many people have been told by Sears when they return a power tool -"that tool isn't made for professional use, so we won't replace belt, brushes, etc. "
No more Sears power tools for me, the last 3 years.